Methanol dangers with applejack??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgray8

Reaction score
I have an apfelwein that is around 14%. If hypothetically I were to freeze it solid in a 3 liter jug and let it thaw over a quart jar, what are the concerns in regards to methanol content?

None, there will be trace amounts present but it's no more dangerous than drinking cider.

Yeah, that was what I figured. I guess I was just looking for a little reassurance! lol :cross:

After I freeze it, that should effectively stop ALL fermentation right? If I drain it into a mason jar and seal it, will they possibly explode?

After I freeze it, that should effectively stop ALL fermentation right? If I drain it into a mason jar and seal it, will they possibly explode?

No, yeast just goes dormant until it warms up again. I only ever made it with dry cider. If there is residual sugar and your alcohol isn't beyond the yeast tolerance, and you didn't pastureize it can restart.

I thought that the yeast would die if frozen past a specific temperature, just like how yeast dies at too hot of a temperature?

Yeah.....gonna need some good info on this one. I do NOT want 1 quart mason jars exploding in my house!

At a specific alcohol level, yeast will die off. That's why the mead recipe "JAOM" is so sweet. The bread yeast dies off at anywhere from twelve to sixteen percent ABV and leaves residual sugar. At 24 percent alcohol or something around there, you should have absolutely no problem with fermentation restarting. No worries. If you're really worried, do some research on the alcohol tolerance of the selected yeast.

Back