What exactly is "reconditioning" w/r/t Corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeatReek

Reaction score
I just saw an ad for a used Cornelius soda keg that's been "machine washed" and has "new o-rings." I've also seen numerous recommendations online that one should only buy reconditioned Cornies because reconditioning them yourself is such a pain.

So... does that sound reconditioned enough, or should I ask for some additional treatment? For an additional fee, of course.

It's probably worth $10-15 per keg to but reconditioned kegs vs. used, but I don't consider re-conditioning a cornie much of a problem. You wash them out and replace the o-rings. You need a really small brush to clean the inside of the outlet tube. After five years of brewing, I'm replacing o-rings again. That's all there is to it. The biggest problem has to be getting the valves off to replace the rings inside them, but it's only tough the first time.

If you do any fruit ales or ciders, or if you dryhop in the keg; you'll have to learn how to take them apart anyway as the valves are easily jammed (and jammed open by the way. Very messy)

I've got one with a weak relief valve, so now I get to learn how to replace them.

The good thing about reconditioned kegs is that they are also pressure tested to make sure they hold the CO2. That way if the poppets are bad you'll know.

Reconditioning them yourself is pretty straightforward, just replacing o-rings and lubing them a bit. I reconditioned my own because I bought it at my LHBS and they guaranteed it would hold pressure. If I were to buy one online I'd definitely want it pressure tested, as 2ndSB points out.

Good point on the pressure test. If the poppet is bad you can replace it, but if the leakage is because the top is bent the keg is useless. One reconditioned keg I purchased had an outlet valve that looked like it had been filed. There was a flat section on the side & I couldn't seat a line on it. The seller finally sent me a replacement for the valve.

Save money and recondition them yourself. I just rebuilt two more last week. You can get a gasket kit for $3.00. And 2 Poppits for $1.25 each. Make sure to buy some "Keg Lube" silicone. That stuff is great!!

The only suggestion I have is to Boil the "in" and "out" posts for like 10 minutes to get the crud out of the threads. And buy a toilet brush from the dollar store. Fill the keg with oxy clean and hot water, and soak for a few hours. Include the dip tubes in the soak. Then scub the inside as good as you can. If you own a Jet bottle washer, rinsing is a breeze.

I found a couple of places close to my house that will sell me used ball lock kegs. One place sells them for $20 and the other for $17 bucks. Believe it or not, the cheaper place has better kegs. Look in the phone book under "Beverage Dispensers & Supplies". Since most soda companys are phasing out cornys, there are alot of places that are trying to get rid of their old stock.

REBUILDING CORNY KEGS
http://cruisenews.net/brewing/kegging/index.php

http://www.ebrew.com/primarynews/intro_keg_system.htm

I agree with Ed. The gasket kits are cheap, as are the poppits. Buying "reconditioned", you're just paying someone to do what you'll eventually do yourself when stuff wears out. I won three non-recon'd on eBay a couple of weeks ago for $45 including shipping (won a pair - asked to have a third included at extra cost). There's a guy selling them by the truck-load (in pairs). Here's one of his auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PEPSI-KEGS-5-...ryZ11876QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just search for auctions by him. That's all he's selling. He's sold scads of them already and everyone has given him good feedback. Mine are in good shape and all holding CO2 from when they were taken out of service. I gave the pressure valve a tug just to check. His shipping was by far the cheapest, although the distance from him (Idaho) to me (Washington) might have had some effect. A thorough cleaning (which I would do anyway, regardless if reconditioned or not) and a gasket kit for each and I'm ready to go.

I figured I saved enough to make a couple of batches of beer. :p

One more note: if you use carboys, bottles, or buy kegs, get the Double-Blast bottle washer. It takes a little getting used to, and you might get squirted in the face once in a while, but once you use it you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Back