Is PVC plastic in contact with ferment safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
Some time ago I had a plastic fabricator cut the bottom off a bucket-style fermenter and weld it to a funnel.
A PVC fitting was welded to the bottom of the funnel, and I have a 1" elbow, which then steps down to a 1/2" male fitting, to which I've attached a ball valve.
Voi la: a Cylindroconical fermenter!

Been nagging me lately though, is PVC a suitable material to have in contact with fermenting wort?

Not concerned with O2 permeability.
It is chemical leaching I'm thinking of.
I bought it from a Plastic Plumbing and Irrigation supplies. Don't know if it is food grade. Assuming it isn't specifically rated as such, what might be the low-down?

What type of PVC, is it the white pipe used in cold water plumbing?

PVC is what many people use for cold water pipes. Hot water needs to be CPVC. Since there should be no hot wort in your fermenter the PVC there should not be a problem. If it is the type used for cold water plumbing supply lines.

What type of plastic funnel was wielded to your bucket? And what type of glue was used to make the "wields"?

Hopefully the funnel is HDPE and the wields were made with glue that's drinking water safe.

If you are unsure then you might want to wash and sanitize it then add 5 gallons of water and let it sit in it for a couple of weeks. Then taste the water to see if it has any off tastes. If it tastes like garden hose or plastic bucket you probably don't want to use it.

Just cold water pipe PVC.
Used plastic weld - so no glue just more HDPE.

Good idea about filling and waiting and tasting. I'll do that, thanks.

Latest posts

Back