Aging Commercial Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobrien

Reaction score
I was finally able to get my hands on some 120 minute IPA :mug:

image-4016207897.jpg

I got a four pack and I plan on drinking one now (still have yet to taste it) and aging the other three. The four pack is refrigerated, so is it a problem to warm it back to room temp in my basement (about 65-70) to age long term?

I appreciate any comments/suggestions.

I generally keep all my aged beers in my beer fridge which is set ~ 45. I know some others may disagree with this but I've aged beers for 10+ years in there and they have turned out great. My latest example was a Mad Elf from 2005 which I drank next to a 2009. Amazing the 2005 blew it away!.

Also, I have all my wine (over 200 bottles) in my basement and I think they are aging very nicely. My basement is between 58-68 depending on the time of year. We just drank a 2005 Ruby Cab 2 weeks ago and it may have been one of the best wines we drank during our wine making event. (It stacked up against a International Winemakers Gold medal winning Cab Franc).

I suggest you just doing what you can and when the time comes and you can get something more appropriate then do it.

Steelers77 said:
I generally keep all my aged beers in my beer fridge which is set ~ 45. I know some others may disagree with this but I've aged beers for 10+ years in there and they have turned out great. My latest example was a Mad Elf from 2005 which I drank next to a 2009. Amazing the 2005 blew it away!.

Also, I have all my wine (over 200 bottles) in my basement and I think they are aging very nicely. My basement is between 58-68 depending on the time of year. We just drank a 2005 Ruby Cab 2 weeks ago and it may have been one of the best wines we drank during our wine making event. (It stacked up against a International Winemakers Gold medal winning Cab Franc).

I suggest you just doing what you can and when the time comes and you can get something more appropriate then do it.

Sounds like good advice, but part of the reason I want to stick it in the basement is "out of sight, out of mind." I use my extra fridge as a fermentation chamber so it fluctuates depending on the brew and if I'm cold crashing something, so I don't think that's appropriate. And if I leave it in the regular fridge, there's no way it lasts long term...

Back