Starsan residue in auto siphon tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimrising

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 1 year, and i noticed awhile ago that i was starting to get spots on my tubing and thief. I havent noticed any issues with any of my brews, but thought i would post to see if anyone else has this problem and if so, what they did to resolve it?

I get spots on my equipment and bottles. But it is water related not starsan. I just leave them and don't worry about it.

I have been brewing for about 1 year, and i noticed awhile ago that i was starting to get spots on my tubing and thief. I havent noticed any issues with any of my brews, but thought i would post to see if anyone else has this problem and if so, what they did to resolve it?

IMO, it's nothing to be concerned about if it's dried starsan and/or water spots. A quick rinse with hot water, followed by pumping fresh starsan through it just prior to use works for me. Then a hot water rinse immediately after use and air-dried.

How long have you had the tubing? I tend to swap mine out every 4 or 5 batches just to avoid any issues. I'd rather use up a few bucks of tubing than run the risk of an infected batch.

i bought 10 ft of 3/8 silicone tubing for my auto siphon on amazon, $17 shipped. i boil the tubing before every use.

I've brewed 10 batches using this tube. I think I might take eastoak's advice and pick up some more tubing. Why take the risk? :)

I agree with what has been said. I don't think it is anything. Probably just water spots. A quick boil or rinse with hot water should get rid of them. Replacing tube is a good idea and very cheap. 10 feet on AHS is $6.30 (plus $7 shipping unless you spend $100, which seems to always happen when I order from them lol)

PBW soak should remove StarSan clouding on plastic. But you really shouldn't leave plastic soaking in StarSan for extended periods of time. It only takes 30 seconds to sanitize.

If you are just using basic clear tubing just buy it at Lowes. Much cheaper and just fine. Personally, I prefer the silicone. Being able to boil it makes me happy.

If you are just using basic clear tubing just buy it at Lowes. Much cheaper and just fine. Personally, I prefer the silicone. Being able to boil it makes me happy.

i had 2-3 batches in a row turn into nasty tasting gushers after bottling. the first thing i did was sanitize the auto siphon with a bleach solution and replaced the hose with silicone hose so i could boil it before use and that seemed to do the trick.

Back