How cold can you get Bud?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaRules

Reaction score
Alright, before I get any flack for asking this let me preference the question. My cousin is a Bud drinker and has always been one, he came to me with an idea and I didn't know the specific answer to his question, so I told him I would ask HBT cause someone will know.

He loves Bud, loves it cold, ice cold, so cold he wants it just above the freezing temp. Have you ever pulled a beer out of the fridge that was so cold that when you tipped the beer the neck froze, or just the neck of the beer was frozen but you could still drink the beer. That's what he is looking for.

He came to me with an idea for a beer and after much debate the simple answer was just to chill the beer just above the freezing point. He wants the set his beer fridge to that temp. I told him there are many variables, how full is the fridge, how often do you open the door, alcohol in the beer, ABV of the beer, and so on, and so on.

Here are the questions.
How cold can he get Bud?
Im not looking for 32 degrees because that's what water freezes at, is there a specific formula that will tell me the freezing point of a beer that is 5.5% alcohol?

At the temp you are searching for, the beer will probably still be liquid in the bottle and won't crystallize until after you open it. Water (and beer) expand as they freeze, the pressure inside the bottle works to prevent it from crystallizing...until you open it and reduce that pressure to atmospheric.

You might know this, but a way to get it super cold would be to put it in a cooler with tons of ice, then pour salt over the ice. that should get it colder than just ice.

But I have no scientific idea how cold bud can get.

Dry ice in a solution of rubbing alcohol gets down below -40 F. I think it gets to -70 F but my thermometer stopped at -40 F. Is that cold enough?:rockin:

Seriously though, when I used to bartend we used to freeze thick 12 oz mugs to serve our BMC in. The beer was kept in the low thirties I think. When it hit the glass you'd get a beer slushy formed at the top.

I'll suggest that to him. I gotta keep him happy cause he's giving me his blown kegs! Single tier, fermentation chambers, new keggles. So far I'm making out like a bandit!

For every mole of foreign particles dissolved in a kilogram of water, the freezing point goes down by roughly 1.8°C.

10% volume of ethanol in a water-alcohol mix, it will freeze at -4° C, 25° F. For beer at half that percentage, ~28° F

As with most things, he will need to tinker with fridge settings to hedge against burst bottles...

We used to try to keep America beers coming out of the tap at 34 degrees. Hope it helps. Misread your request. try 24 degrees. that was the cooler temp that froze beer in bottles and caused a long night when I was bartending.

Back