100 bottles of beer by the sink,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
100 bottles of beer,
wash one down,
swish it around,
I wish I had a keg system instead of 99 bottles of beer by the sink...........

:(

You could after you drink them wash them and put foil on them. Then to sanatize, put in oven at 300 degrees or something for a while, the foil will keep the bottle sanatized till you are ready to fill, just pull foil off, and fill. Only do oven when you have like 30 bottles to put in there, but foil right after dry after washing.
Thats what I do

Just check craigslist religiously. You'll find the stuff you need even if you only get one piece at a time, it'll be worth it when you can ditch the bottling process. I'm not sure I'd still be brewing if I had to bottle every time, I'd certainly not be brewing as often. If you know you're going to keg at some point it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the deals posted here on used cornies. There was a good one posted the other day which I noticed hours after ordering some on NB.

LMAO, this is why my non-beer-drinking wife said "Thank GOD you got kegs" a few weeks ago. That and me taking up a shelf of the fridge with filled beer bottles.

At the end of the day I go and dump the bottles out from that day, squirt in a bit of starsan (for good luck), fill it up about 1/4 of the way with warm water, put my thumb over the top, shake like crazy, then rinse is out and hold it up against light to look for nasties. I put them in a spare bottling bucket upside down to drain then when it comes bottling day just sanitize and bottle!

I'm going to be kegging by summer. Have two fridges in the mancave, so one will be for keggs. Been watching prices, so shouldn't have to go too deep to get set up. Wife just got a remodeled kitchen (old stove is now mine) so I won't hear alot of complaints (I hope).

100 bottles of beer,
wash one down,
swish it around,
I wish I had a keg system instead of 99 bottles of beer by the sink...........

:(

I actually don't mind bottling, but I eventually want to keg as well. I just picked up over 250 bottles for free so I will be bottle conditioning a LOT of beer. Removing all of these labels is going to suck though.

I actually don't mind bottling, but I eventually want to keg as well. I just picked up over 250 bottles for free so I will be bottle conditioning a LOT of beer. Removing all of these labels is going to suck though.

Oxiclean is your best friend!:D

For labels I find that hot water and a razor blade works wonders. I'm lazy and anal though so it has been a while since I have tried to take a label off of an ISB bottle. I just buy a few cases every once in a while. I do save the belgian 33 cl bottles that Rochefort and others use.

Call me sick but I almost enjoy the bottling. Turn the radio on, quality thinkin' time in the basement, drink 1 or 8, and get something done you can be proud of. After all, no pain....no pain.

Kegging sounds cool, but lacking the space and resources for it I'll continue to punish myself with all those bottles.

I don't mind bottling so much either. I have a big tub that I sanitize them in, then I set them out in long rows on the counter. After this I just have to stick the bottling bucket on top of the fridge and go along the rows, putting the bottling wand in until they're full. My wife comes behind me and sits the caps on top to keep anything bad out and once they are all filled we get to capping them.

That said, I'd love to be able to keg but the investment required for that is prohibitive.

I bottle a LOT and it's no big deal. I did 9 cases last week and 4 the week before that. I rinse each bottle with tap water after I drink it (put a little in and shake it up, repeat 3 times). When it comes time to bottle, I give each a quick rinse with the bottle washer and then stack them in the oven. I can get 4.5 cases in the oven at once. They are cooked at about 350f for an hour and then let cool over night. Then, just fill and cap. It goes pretty quickly. Also, don't bother to take the labels off. That's a waste of time unless you're giving them away or sending to a comp.

although I keg now, I still bottle on occasion. just rinse the bottle after use with a jet washer attached to the sink and store upside down. just before filling, sanitize with a few pumps from the vinator. no big deal

+1 on the jet washer

I was at a beer fest a few months back and spoke to one of the coordinators and they let me "recycle" some bottles. I ended up getting 15 cases ( I've used 4 so far.... ) I was able to wash these out and store them back in the boxes in a matter of hours. I think I spent about an hour on 5 cases so 3 hours and a litle hot water later....

image-1386995573.jpg

wow, why would you let 100 bottles build up? It's really not that difficult or time consuming to rinse them after use and store them upside down. Washing that many bottles at a time is just painful. Of course I learned the hard way...which it sounds like you will too.

Stored them up to take and soak labels off and clean. I make sure to rinse when beer is finished, but a bunch were from a buddy who didn't. Had to soak, wash with a brush, rinse several times, and peel labels. Have big sinks at work so took them in when I worked the weekend and did it there. Took about three hours all together. I will stay ahead of them from here on out. Just ordered a bottle tree and vinator to stay ahead of them in the future.

Just check craigslist religiously. You'll find the stuff you need even if you only get one piece at a time, it'll be worth it when you can ditch the bottling process. I'm not sure I'd still be brewing if I had to bottle every time, I'd certainly not be brewing as often. If you know you're going to keg at some point it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the deals posted here on used cornies. There was a good one posted the other day which I noticed hours after ordering some on NB.

Ding, Ding, Ding - I found a kegerator on Craigslist with a 5lb cylinder, primary regulator, fridge and sanke tap for $60. I bought 4 kegs, ball lock QD's and some hose and simple splitters and I'm in business. I just got a used secondary regulator here on classifieds for $45 shipped that will be a 4 body regulator. I'm in business for pretty reasonable cost.

Ding, Ding, Ding - I found a kegerator on Craigslist with a 5lb cylinder, primary regulator, fridge and sanke tap for $60. I bought 4 kegs, ball lock QD's and some hose and simple splitters and I'm in business. I just got a used secondary regulator here on classifieds for $45 shipped that will be a 4 body regulator. I'm in business for pretty reasonable cost.

Damn I'm jealous!

Latest posts

Back