1st AG, bottling day, beer smells "grainy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeb

Reaction score
yesterday I bottled up my first AG Blonde Ale. It sat in the primary for 5 weeks before I racked to my bottling bucket. It definitely smells like beer, but there is a hint of the smell of the grains I used. It has the exact same smell as when I was mashing.

The first week of fermenting was very violent. I had to use a blow off tube and the krausen was very thick, enough make me have to switch out blow off tubes. But that all settled and things started looking perfect. The color is exactly what I had hoped for, golden but a very small hint of orange.

So is that smell what most people call "green" and needs time? Will bottle conditioning mellow this out?

Well, some beers are simply 'grainy' tasting and/or smelling. Sometimes that is one of the goals of the beer.

What was the recipe, and what was the beer style? A blonde will often taste "grainy" to me until carbed up because it's pretty naked flavored.

8 lb 2 row Brittish
1/2 lb cara-pils dextrine malt
1/2 lb caramel vienna malt USA
1/2 lb wheat malt Uk

1 oz Uk bramling cross leaf 60 min
1 oz Uk wgv whole leaf 20 min

Tbsp irish moss 15 min

wlp001 California Ale yeast

Mashed crushed grains at 152 degrees, but tempurature tapered off to around 147 after an hour.

I didnt pour it into boil kettle until it was pouring clear, and then I even filtered it after that to catch any other particles.

Back