mash temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
I am brewing a simple IPA all grain. I started my mash at 152 degree's. I noticed 30 minutes in that I dropped to 140 degree's. I heated more water and brought the mash back up to 152 degree's. I restarted my hour time table from that point.

Should I notice any side effects?

It will be great!

lower temp means more fermentables, but it will most likely turn out great.

Problem is, if it does turn out great, how to duplicate the process.

m.

It sounds like you forgot to pre-heat your mash tun. Before I mash I always heat the strike water about 12-15F higher, dump it in the mash tun and let it settle to strike temp. before doughing in the grain. This takes about 15 min. and will pre-heat the MLT so you don't lose as much temp.

I did preheat my cooler and my strike water started at 165 degrees. Not sure if it's the cool temps here in the northeast of the snow outside...Thanks for the help.

Ok, stir well & use lots of blankets over the cooler. You can also dough in with a quart or two less and put those on the stove & bring to a boil and add to your mash when you stir if you need.

Back