Wyeast 5112 vs. WLP 650 Brett B Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscostew

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a batch that I plan on inoculating with Brett B yeast upon completion of primary fermentation. I ordered Wyeast 5112 Brett B yeast from my lhbs and today they called and told me they had gotten it in. However the yeast is 10$ a pack, and they also have WLP650 for 6 dollars. My question to you wild brewers is are there noticeable differences between the two brett b strains? Is the wyeast worth the extra cash, i don't mind spending the extra 4 bucks if that is the consensus. Personal opinons/experiences on either strain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

They seem close enough in my experience. You could also get some free beer with your Brett B by just dumping in the dregs from a bottle of Orval.

The Brett L strains from the two labs are very different on the other hand (Wyeast's in much fruitier, while the White Labs is super funky).

Back