Transferring the Wort Into the Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piernas

Reaction score
When I put my wort through the funnel, the screen part catches a ton of stuff. Usually I have to spend about 45 minutes pouring the wort in because I have to stop and stir for a while and then scoop out the green gunk (not sure what it's called at this point). This guy at the brew mart told me that I can just pull out the screen and dump everything into the carboy. Will all the extra stuff mess with my beer, or have my many hours of stirring and scooping been productive?

I'm going to make a wild guess here in that your using pellet hops.

I used to have the same problem as you and the stirring to get the wort through the funnel still results in some hop material getting into the carboy. I've never had a bad batch turn out from this method. I have never just removed the filter and dumped it straight in, and I suppose it will not cause much issue.

Some recommendations for you to think about. Switch to whole hops, use a very fine mesh hop bag druing your boil, remove the filter pour into your primary. If your very confident with your sanitation processes leave the fresh wort in the primary and let things settle for 24 hours, then rack off the top of the trub to a clean carboy leaving the trub/hop material behind, then pitch your yeast in the fresh carboy. This is a very long process and most will argue against my last recommendation, and they are correct to do so as you increase your odds of an infection.

A final option I would recommend is check you LHBS and pick up an auto siphon. I've been through in 10+ years of brewing and they are a HUGH time saver.

Edit: A boil pot with a drain tube and pickup with a filter on the pickup is another good option.

It's just a big red pot that holds about 3 gallons. I'm using liquid extract and just steeping some grains.

This is one advantage of using a pail for a primary. I can use a BIG kitchen strainer when I pour my wort in. I still have to stop and empty it a few times, but it's much quicker and easier.

If you have another pot or something you can transfer to from your kettle, you could use a large strainer. Then pour that into your primary using the funnel. It adds a step, but might be quicker and easier.

With the big strainer, I just pour until it starts backing up. Then I stop, let it finish drianing and dump the strainer out in the trash and continue.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I unfortunately don't have an extra bucket or pot, but I do have a kitchen strainer that I think I'll hold over the funnel when I'm pouring. It has been used to strain pasta before, but hopefully it should be okay for pouring the beer through once I sanitize it. Should I be worried about it affecting the flavor?

No.thing to worry about,

No hops?
Where the teeping grains in a muslin bag?
Do you have a secondary vessel?

You could ook at whirlpooling and syphoning to help leave trub behind.

Back