First Gold Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I just ordered a pound of these. Looking to make a simple English Pale with them so I can get a feel for the flavor profile. Does anyone have any experience with these hops? Searching yielded little results.....

Bred at Wye College in 1995. First Gold is the produce of cross-pollination of WGV with a dwarf male. First Gold has many of Goldings flavour characteristics but with a higher Alpha acid at 7 to 9%. The hop gives a rich citrus character with flavours described as orange peel and dried apricot. First Gold has proven success in the United States in stronger flavoured summer beers and IPAs

Sounds like a more robust EKG.

I use them for bittering in nearly all my british type beers, they are quite like goldings. I hear they are great for flavor and aroma additions, but I have never used them for that since I have 2 pounds of EKG

Brewing this tomorrow. I hope to get some of the orange peel/dried apricot I keep reading about......

10.0 lbs Maris Otter
.50 Cara-Pils
.50 Crystal 60

1.0 oz First Gold @ 60min
1.0 oz First Gold @ FWH
1.0 oz First Gold @ Dry Hop

OG: 1.056
IBU's: 42
Yeast: WLP023

Drinking this beer now. The WLP023 didn't quite work out for me as planned. Probably fermented to low.

I think the more robust EKG is probably an accurate description. Very slight apricot/orange to it. Definitely has that British character to it. Got em cheap from Fresh Hops.

Back