Out of Star San... Need help quick so I can Bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerArchitect54

Reaction score
I use Star San but am all out and forgot to order more so I could bottle my IPA... I need to sanitize my 5 Gal. Bottling bucket as well as my bottles.. What is the best way to do this and how... Bleach or some other form of cleaner.. What would the ratio be for the % gal. Bucket. I usually mix up my star san in the bucket and clean all bottles in that before I start.... Thanks and please comment as I’m looking to bottle tomorrow morning at the latest... Thanks again!

Take a look at the sticky about cleaners and sanitizers at the top of this forum.

I have used bleach, before I found Starsan, without problems. I used the unscented stuff. I also probably went overboard with rinsing... I triple rinsed, then a final rinse in water that had been boiled. I also, then baked the bottles @ about 350 for 30 minutes.
Like I said, probably overkill and it took a LONG time... did that twice, now I keg everthing.

Good luck.

I used to used bleach for all sanitizing and I don't think I rinsed enough - the beer had some weird, sometimes nasty, off-flavors. Bleach is tough to totally rinse off, so triple-rinsing is probably a good idea.

Using CLEAN bottles, bake them in the oven for about an hour at 350F and let them cool slowly. They will be very sanitary.

they are plastic PET bottles so the baking thing is out of the question... Thanks keep the comments comming!

I agree with the above. Don't screw up all the hard work you have already done because you can't let it sit for a few more days. There is no way around proper sanitation except urine as shortyjacobs pointed out.

by the time the star san gets here it might be in the secondary for three weeks or better... Should I be worried??? Ive also been dry hopping this one... Thanks

To secondary for three weeks is rather normal. Dry hopping it for that long should not matter and definitely will not matter as much as questionable sanitation of your bottles.

by the time the star san gets here it might be in the secondary for three weeks or better... Should I be worried??? Ive also been dry hopping this one... Thanks

That's not a problem. Just get the StarSan and do it right. After all, would you brew if you didn't have hops or malt?

As long as the bottles are clean, a dishwasher cycle (no soap or detergent) with heated drying will sanitize the bottles. Use a little bleach on the bottling bucket and rinse well.

The bottles are new.. I just bought them.. I just found a somewhat local Homebrew shop in my area so Im off the get the Star San...... YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im also going to grab a recipe before I leave to brew up.... God I love Homebrewing!!!

I know this is late advice by a few years, but for anyone with the same question you can often find StarSan at many Lowe's if you have one in your area. That's where I bought my last bottle of it. Wish Home Depot/Wal-mart/Target would carry it as well since it has many applications beyond brewing (except for cleaning formica countertops as someone noted!)

Back