sierra nevada pale ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooksh

Reaction score
i going to brew a nevada pale ale and i am afraid i wont get the result
i wish to get with my water :

calcium (ca) - 26 ppm
magnesium (mg) - 18
sodium (na) -32
sulfate (so4) - 6
chloride (ci) - 24
carbo (hco3) - 198
ph- 7.8

do you think a tsp of epsom will make my sierra nevada clone more balanced, and if so ,do i add the epsom to the total 9 gallon brewing water i am heating?
here is my recipe :5 gallon

11 lb pale malt
0.5 lb dextrine
0.3 lb caramunich

0.5 oz magnum 60 minutes
0.5 oz hallertauer 30 minutes
1 oz cascade 10 minutes

1 oz cascade dry hop

yeast: wyeast 1098 brit ale

Sometimes messing with your water can provide undesirable results as well, so I'd say just use the water you usually use to brew. SNPA doesn't require a particularly crazy water profile.

If you really want to add minerals, I think just a tad of gypsum would do the trick to raise your ca a little and sulfate to have more in comparison to cloride to bring out the bitterness more.

Epson salt adds Mg and SO4 and you don't need anymore Mg, so gypsum will give you more ca and SO4 which is what you are looking for.

Well, epsom salts are not particularly useful unless you want to boost the magnesium levels, which in general, you don't.

What we're more interested in is emphasising the dryness and crisp bitterness you get from SNPA... so we're interested in a sulphate to chloride ratio of about 2:1

Based on your base water, I would add 10g of Gypsum and 3g of CaCl... I wouldn't add any epsom salts. For 5 US gallons. That should give you around 300ppm Sulphates and 150ppm chloride.

+1 to not mess with it
+1 to 1056

If the water tastes good, use it.

Does anyone know what type of water Sierra Nevada uses? Without that knowledge, why mess with your water?

IMHO, there are so many other variables that go into homebrewing and cloning a beer that water chemistry should be way down on the list of worries.

Back