First brew in a long time... Questions re: mini-mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I've not brewed in about 6 months. It seems that the beer supply I had has lasted us quite a while. We are down to roughly a case and half of Scotch ale and pumpkin ale.

I'm making a couple extract batches of cheap stuff for the general masses and for something easy for the guys at work to consume. They loved my wee heavy ale so I want to let them try something lighter.

I'm headed to MoreBeer saturday to get

- American Ale (extract)
- German Hefeweizen (extract)
- Octoberfest (mini-mash)

Is there much difference between extract and minimash?

When I did my wee heavy ale I got malt in a bag, all the assorted grains and ground them up and steeped them almost like I would a extract batch and it came out fine.

I know there was a thread on something like a mini-mash but don't remember.

I have an 8 gallon kettle to brew in so i get 5 gallons at the end and a second brew kettle thats the beginner basic one, 2 carboys and allthe other stuff needed. I also have a couple wort chillers.

What steps would I need to add along with the extract routine I've gone through?

Thanks
Jake

A mini mash takes a little planning as far as water volumes and you should watch your mash temperature a bit more carefully than a simple steep, but it's not hard. This thread should be very helpful, it was to me when I started.

A mini mash takes a little planning as far as water volumes and you should watch your mash temperature a bit more carefully than a simple steep, but it's not hard. This thread should be very helpful, it was to me when I started.

THAT is the thred I remember reading.

I think I'll do it that way this weekend. I have two pots, just need a grain bag.

I was thinking of using a false bottom/strainer but this method is cheaper.

thanks

Back