advice needed for second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokipynes

Reaction score
I brewed up my second batch Sunday. It is an English Brown Ale kit from Brewers Best and is a partial grain kit. I followed the instructions closely and did not add anything beyond the kit. This is my second Brewers Best kit with the first being their Red Ale. In the first kit I did add a Wyeast instead of the dry that came in the kit. This time my local shop was out of most yeast so I used the dry Nottingham from the kit. I made a starter and had good growth and bubbling in the starter before pitching.

Sunday night had good bubbles in the airlock with at least one per second and by Monday morning it was many multiples per second. Here is where I need advice. By Monday night all bubbling had stopped and has remained nill since. Last night I took a quick peak inside and saw just a small amount of Krausen and mostly yellow froth on top. All smelled good. This morning I took an SG reading and came out right on the target. The reading was 1.010 at 73 F. The starting OG was 1.050 at 77 F.

Is this normal for a brew to finish so quickly? Should I wait for the full week in primary or rack to secondary now. Secondary is a 6.5 gal. carboy. I intend to keep it in secondary for at least a week. My first batch took over a full week in primary and I left it in secondary for 2 weeks but that was in winter and house temps were at 70 F or just below most of the time. Now even with the AC on it is mid 70s. Is this the cause of the difference or is it just the variability of this hobby.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Doug

If it's at the target gravity, then you can by all means go ahead and rack.

Your temperatures are definitely a little on the high side. It's a real struggle in the summer if you don't have a basement. You might try putting the bucket or carboy in a tub filled with water and adding a jug of ice or a cooler cold pack every morning or something. Ideally, you want to keep most ales at 70 or less.

Small differences in temperature make big differences in fermentation rates. If you can find them, Safale04 & 56 do well up to 75F. Just wrapping a fermentor with a damp towel can lower the temperature enough to help keep it in range.

Back