Big starter in fermentation bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsname

Reaction score
Has anyone made a starter in a fermentation bucket and just pitch their wort directly to it?

I'm planning on a doppelbock and I have a temp controlled fermentation chamber and rather than needing to buy a huge flask or doing multiple step starters, this may be an easy solution.

If you're doing a big starter, you don't want to pitch it into your beer. That could be a gallon or more of unhopped, oxidized beer going into your nice clean doppelbock. You really need to be able to decant off the spent wort.

If you're doing a big starter, you don't want to pitch it into your beer. That could be a gallon or more of unhopped, oxidized beer going into your nice clean doppelbock. You really need to be able to decant off the spent wort.

Right, forgot to include the decanting part, aside from that, still a good idea?

been mulling this myself.. i want to get a decent yeast harvest going and want to step it up to a 5 gallon carboy so I can have enough to do a few batches. I don't know if you want to do this w/o stepping up though because of the strain you would be putting on the yeast, but I'm a noob and would defer to those with more experience.

Back