Taylor Ham and Cheese

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJstout

Reaction score
Best breakfast sandwich athere is (if your in NJ)

IMG_HRTaylorHam2.jpg

taylor-ham1.jpg

pork-roll-sandwich1.jpg

krave_bagel_low_res_wide-350x350.JPG

taylor_ham.jpg

One can actually buy the famous 'Taylor Pork Roll' here in Kentucky. Is it really worth the sat fat/calorie splurge? Cincy has its Goetta, and I've never had that either. And there is always 'Dixie Loaf'.

If Mac and Cheese can get promoted from the kiddie menu to the Main Menu, there is no reason the Taylor Pork roll can't do the same!

I love TH&C! When my mother in law comes out from NJ, she sometimes brings me one (a whole pork roll, not a sandwich). I actually saw one in a deli counter at the LA downtown farmers market once. I've never been back to buy one though.

Wow, I thought this stuff was everywhere. Wait, what? Are you telling me that pork roll, egg and cheese sandwiches are not available at every deli and diner across the country? That's BS man.

Wow, I thought this stuff was everywhere. Wait, what? Are you telling me that pork roll, egg and cheese sandwiches are not available at every deli and diner across the country? That's BS man.

It's all part of a big conspiracy to keep NJ people in NJ. If there's no Taylor pork rolls anywhere else, why would they leave??

I'm not from NJ (my wife is) and I can tell you that neither WA (where I grew up) or CA (where I live) has anything like it. I really like fried bologna sandwiches also, but Taylor ham (pork roll) is very different.

You just can't handle the fact that we invented them can you? I know it's a shock that they weren't really invented in coney island, that they were NAMED for the place...but really man, that was so last year. ;)

Meh, we have the Sonoran Dog!

tumblr_kw7rfgpTId1qzrafwo1_500.png

Revvy said:
You just can't handle the fact that we invented them can you? I know it's a shock that they weren't really invented in coney island, that they were NAMED for the place...but really man, that was so last year. ;)

Revvy knows hit dogs like he knows beer apparently. In Upstate NY, especially around Plattsburgh, that particular style of chili dog is called a Michegan. And they're great, BTW. But we call 'em Michegans because the guys who made 'em first were from there, relocated to Coney Island.

Now why people in the Mitten decided to take the food their guys made and that other people call by their name a Coney is beyond me. But thems the facts.

Now why people in the Mitten decided to take the food their guys made and that other people call by their name a Coney is beyond me. But thems the facts.

I think it's the same reason they call those fried potato sticks, "french fries" though they were invented elsewhere, or ground beef patties served on buns the hamburger, they they weren't invented in Hamburgh. Or icecream/spongecake heated "Baked Alaska" even though it is norwegian, to lend an air of "exotic-ness" to the food.

I bet those greeks who first invented the coney in Jackson, or Flint Michigan saw Coney Island as a magical place and wanted to honor it.

Makes sense. Coneys in Michigan and Michigans in the North Country. Very exotic. And we wonder why everyone else is confused. ;)

All I know is I want one.

Back on topic, however, I've never had a pork roll either. No clue what it tastes like.

nope, it doesnt taste anything like ham or fried bologna. I would probably compare it most like american style canadian bacon, but its still very different

I have to agree that it is hard to describe. A much more meaty flavor and consistency than spam, thats for sure. When we lived in Bayville, my mother pretty much made it for us every day for breakfast.

Of course that does just looked like fired bologna...maybe you guys think you have something unique that the rest of America thinks is just crap. ;)

BINGO! :mug:
The stuff looks like a hybrid of spam & fried bologna; pure nastiness in my book...
Though I'll admit I'd probably eat it if I were starving in the zombie apocalypse, but not till then.
Regards, GF.

Yeah, it is like scrapple. It is only in a very small area. Hell, even in DE it isn't the easiest thing to find and most people don't know what it is. Only 1 or two grocery stores sell it around here and it is practically impossible to find a pork roll sandwhich anywhere.

Of course that does just looked like fired bologna...maybe you guys think you have something unique that the rest of America thinks is just crap. ;)

Not even close.

BINGO! :mug:
The stuff looks like a hybrid of spam & fried bologna; pure nastiness in my book...
Though I'll admit I'd probably eat it if I were starving in the zombie apocalypse, but not till then.
Regards, GF.

Then you have never had it made right or just some nasty brand.

@Revvy, not to be a weisenheimer, but french fries refer to the cut of the potato. They are potatoes that have been "frenched" and then fried.

This thread has added yet another fattening and unhealthy "must try" to my list. So far I have grown to love scrapple, blood sausage, headcheese, corned beef hash, and several other meat products SWMBO disdanes.

Personally, for my money it doesnt get any better than a Griff dog in the East Village or even better souvlaki.

At home if Summer isnt around you might catch me wrapping a slice of bacon around a frank, adding pepperocini and saurkraut before hitting it with american cheese. A line of mustard and a line of rooster sauce (you cannot stump the rooooster) and you have a coronary on a bun :rockin:

My first girlfriend (a redhead south african jewish girl) had a family that enjoyed fried bologna with eggs for breakfast. Tried it, wasnt that into it.

Until you have personally experienced the glory that is Taylor Ham, you know not how empty and meaningless your life is.

NOTHING else can compare to its salty, meaty goodness. It is with out peer and the epitome of all that is good and holy in breakfast meets!

Until you have personally experienced the glory that is Taylor Ham, you know not how empty and meaningless your life is.

NOTHING else can compare to its salty, meaty goodness. It is with out peer and the epitome of all that is good and holy in breakfast meets!

I agree so much with this that I just cut my pinky toe off

The only thing better than pork roll, of course, is scrapple. Not sure if it can found outside of the PA NJ area

I love me some pork roll. Its totally a Jersey thing. I live close to a family business who has made a name making and selling pork roll among other cuts of meat. http://porkrollstore.co/ The elderly man who runs the place has been making pork roll for 60 years, just like his dad did. It is an awesome thing when its sauteed in a pan with some butter, topped with american cheese and a fried egg on a kaiser roll.

Its a bit pricey to ship, but you guys outside of the NJ PA area just don't know what you are missing.

And please Revvy, 'fried bologna', come on, thats crass.

Oh, speaking of specialty offal meats, I tried making liver mush a few weeks ago. I was saddened when I realized I didnt like it :-(

hatfield makes pretty good pork roll- but taylor is the king. THE&C w SPK is the best breakfast... all wrapped in foil and hot and gooey. Also - i thought the "coney" hot dogs from upstate are different from "coney island" dogs from michigan. They are not all beef (i think pork, beef and veal) are unsmoked and cured, and have a clear casing - they are white and are also called "white hots". i don't think they came from Michigan, but from the german settlers in the area. does anyone else have more skinny on the conies from the 'cuse?

My MIL (from NJ) has been staying with us for the last few weeks. Just before she arrived, I ordered a couple of Taylor hams so we could have T/H & cheese sandwiches.

Tonight, I get home from work and my wife was cooking a tri-tip on the grill and my MIL was in the kitchen making Taylor ham and green beans! (olive oil, garlic cloves, green beans & diced Taylor ham).

Holy crap! This was good! She said she's never made it before, but knew I liked green beens w/ bacon, so she thought she'd try the Taylor ham.

TaylorHam_GreenBeans.JPG

Back