First brew success!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa4234

Reaction score
About 5 weeks ago I decided to pick up a brew kit. I had a couple of weeks off and I was bored, so I thought, why not? I picked up an Amber Ale extract kit for my first brew and I let it sit in the fermentor about 4 weeks. I bottled last weekend, and I couldn't wait any longer to try one, so I threw one in the fridge earlier today. Much to my surprise, it actually tasted quite good! It definitely has some aging to do, but as of right now, I consider it a success! I don't really have a question at this time, except, what to try next? I just thought I would share my success!

What to try next? What do you like? Then find a recipe or kit and brew it dang it! :p

Congrats at the first brew, its not that hard to make good stuff.

Congrats!! Now you will be thinking, dreaming and talking about home brewing 24/7! Super fun and the sky is the limit :)

What to try next is making better beer. Learn about temperature control, the flavors given to the beer by the different grains and hops, how to pitch the proper amount of yeast, the variations of the colors of extract, the list just goes on. What a hobby with so much to learn and try and you get to drink the product. Have fun!

RM-MN said:
What to try next is making better beer. Learn about temperature control, the flavors given to the beer by the different grains and hops, how to pitch the proper amount of yeast, the variations of the colors of extract, the list just goes on. What a hobby with so much to learn and try and you get to drink the product. Have fun!

+1 on temp controle, the great beers all have fermented at controled temps :)

Welcome to the adiction, "Hi my name is Jesse, and i'm an addict" lol

Also GRATS on leaving you first home brew in the fermenter for 4 weeks, so many noobs are just to quick or impatient and ruch it too fast so they end up drinking PISS !!

Another trick to great beers is PATIENCE.... 4 weeks in fermenter is a must for me :)

Cherrs, 17 bro!!

jesseroberge said:
Also GRATS on leaving you first home brew in the fermenter for 4 weeks, so many noobs are just to quick or impatient and ruch it too fast so they end up drinking PISS !

Or they're misinformed when they start brewing. Patience is important in this hobby, but many brewers start out with the wrong info so they don't know they're supposed to be patient.

Awesome! Congrats from a fellow noob. I like you listened to the many on here that have preached the practice of waiting and relaxing. Enjoy and pay attention to each week as you taste to the effects of time and age on your brew and write it down. It's your brew, brew what you want. Just get another going...I couldn't wait to get another going. So, I got after my 2nd one and after it was in the primary two weeks...I went and bought another primary and a kit and got another one going. I wanted to build my pipeline. Now today, 9/15/12, I am going to be bottling batch number 2 and in two weeks I will be bottling #3. All while enjoying batch #1 along the way...soon I will have the choice #3 different ones to enjoy! Again congrats and welcome to the fun and addiction.

If you haven't already, go to a place where you can build your own 6-pack and get different commercial examples of the different styles. You never know what you may like and may want to try brewing yourself. I used to think I hated browns until trying them again recently. Now I can't wait to brew one.

Also, if you haven't already, find and join a home brew club! Your brewing will go to a whole new level and you will get to try some great beers/meads/wines/ciders of all kinds of styles.

Back