Sediment in first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhusker

Reaction score
Ok I know this is likely way way too early to be concerned but I want to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

I made my first all grain beer two weeks ago, an Oktoberfest. 10 total pounds of grain. Batch sparged and vorlaufed the first runnings.

I kegged it on Sunday and took my way too early first glass for tasting on Tuesday night. The glass was very cloudy and there were noticable particles in it.

Even on my early glasses of previous extract batches I haven't seen it like this. How long should I wait before being concerned?

It's normal, especially if you were a little sloppy with the racking (which I am all the time). Let it sit and carbonate at serving pressure for a couple of weeks. Because it's in the keggerator it's basically 'crash cooling'. A lot of the gunk in the beer is falling out and settling on the bottom of the keg. Your first couple pints are going to be cloudy, but time will clear you beer right up.

It's not been kegged long enough. Did you use a lager yeast? If so, you should not have even kegged this beer yet.

If you used an ale yeast, it's still very early. You are probably seeing yeast that's kicked up when you kegged.

Did you use Whirlfloc or something similar at the end of the boil? That will help clear your beer.

In any case, step away from the beer for 2 weeks, minimum. It'll clear on its own.

I used a California common. Not a true Oktoberfest but as close as I can get with my setup currently. I also "may" have racked some gunk out of primary. I just couldn't stand leaving that much beer on the bottom. I'll just wait a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back