What happed to Guinness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe the atmosphere of a true Irish pub just makes you think that the pints taste better....

i'm thinking mostly this. i would much rather have a guinness there than here. not so much for taste though. just experience

i'm thinking mostly this. i would much rather have a guinness there than here. not so much for taste though. just experience

I certainly enjoyed drinking pints of Guinness in Irish pubs (in Ireland) more than in my house. I could swear there was a flavor difference at the time. I've heard that the Guinness sent to the US is pasteurized but that is not the case in Ireland. I can't confirm that though.

i mean, i comes over on a ship or whatever, who knows what temperature it is, who knows how long it sits. would this effect it some? probably. but i would think they have some sort of quality control over here to make sure it's not too much different. it might taste better fresh, with the perfect 119.5 second pour, etc... but i would think its pretty similar. if i ever go to Ireland i will definitely report back. but if i had to put money on it i would bet the biggest different is location. would you rather eat Japanese food in Japan, or here? maybe bad example but you get it. its more symbolic to drink one over there, i would think that could affect your perception of taste.

I just came across this thread and am laughing. I bought a 4-pack of Guinness Draught (cans) last week for St. Patty's day and was thoroughly disappointed. I couldn't even finish it.. I dumped it down the drain and cracked open a homebrewed stout (don't ask why I didn't just do this in the first place). I used to love Guinness but what I had last week was just like water. It was too light, thin... watery, and had little, if any flavor. It totally reminded of a dark colored BMC.

I just came across this thread and am laughing. I bought a 4-pack of Guinness Draught (cans) last week for St. Patty's day and was thoroughly disappointed. I couldn't even finish it.. I dumped it down the drain and cracked open a homebrewed stout (don't ask why I didn't just do this in the first place). I used to love Guinness but what I had last week was just like water. It was too light, thin... watery, and had little, if any flavor. It totally reminded of a dark colored BMC.

Seriously man? I understand you qualm with Guinness Draught, but i'd never dump it down the drain....hell, i wouldn't even dump BMC down the drain, i'd just feed it to my friends and family. Dumping a perfectly good beer down the drain is a terrible thing, it's not like it was infected. And furthermore, would you rather drink that watery guinness with you dinner or a glass of water if they were the only two choices. Gotta choose the guinness

If you don't like a beer you opened and don't want to drink it or can't give it away, dump it. As long as your "ok" knowing you wasted some money, who cares. Why drink something that sucks?

If you don't like a beer you opened and don't want to drink it or can't give it away, dump it. As long as your "ok" knowing you wasted some money, who cares. Why drink something that sucks?

why? on principle. just the way i see it.

Went to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner. The beer menu had Guinness on "draft". I asked the waitress if it was Guinness Draught or Guinness Stout that was on "draft". She said yes Guinness draft. Had to explain that those were two different beers. She went off to the bar to see which was on "draft". Turns out it was the Stout.

To make a long story short. Yummy. Deep, Dark, Great Head that lasted to the very end and coated the inside of the glass w/foam.

Are you suggesting that "Guinness Draught" is not a stout? I understand that she was stating that "Guinness" was "on draft".

According the the source, http://www.guinness.com/en-us/thebeer.html, the brewery's names appear to be Guinness Draught, Guiness Extra Stout, and Guinness Foreign Extra. All are stouts.

So, I think the natural expectation when you say I want a "Guinness Stout" would be that you get a Guinness Draught, their flagship product. If you want the Extra Stout, you gotta ask for a Guinness Extra Stout.

That's how i see it anyway.

i think because they call the bottle stuff guinness draught too. so he wanted to make sure it was actually on tap?

Are you suggesting that "Guinness Draught" is not a stout? I understand that she was stating that "Guinness" was "on draft".

According the the source, http://www.guinness.com/en-us/thebeer.html, the brewery's names appear to be Guinness Draught, Guiness Extra Stout, and Guinness Foreign Extra. All are stouts.

So, I think the natural expectation when you say I want a "Guinness Stout" would be that you get a Guinness Draught, their flagship product. If you want the Extra Stout, you gotta ask for a Guinness Extra Stout.

That's how i see it anyway.

Thanks for the clarification. So now I'm not sure what I had, but it was sooo good. Love the way the foam covered the sides of the glass right to the very end. Never noticed that before. Is that a Stout thing?

yeah. probably their main product. guinness draught. they have a product in a bottle that they call guinness draght too. it has a little deal called a widget (discussed earlier in this thread). both are really creamy and have a head that will stay untill the end.

it's a good beer, people just get bitter because they've moved on to other things. kinda like breaking up with an ex-girlfriend, now your out with you new one, "oh, look how much better this one is" but guinness is like, i dont care i'm still gettin' booty....

what? sorry i blacked out.

I hate to bump this back to the front, but I tried a bottle of Guinness that got pushed to the back of the fridge that I'm sure was way past it's prime (Hey, it's pasteurized, right? lol). I decided to try it again just because of this thread. It could just be a change in my palate since I tried it a long time ago, but I found it much more tolerable. If I had brewed a similar beer I may not be particularly proud of it, but I may not bash it nearly as much as I have in the past.

At least I have another bottle to fill!

ok......so i'll take back some of the stuff i said about Guinness. Don't get me wrong, their draft or draught is still freaking terrible, hands down, it's water. But i just had their Foreign Extra and it is actually very good. It has extra malt and extra hops that you can actually taste. you can taste the black malt. The head is like meringue. It's a good beer, they should put it on draft in place of the horrible "draught" they have now.

I think Guinness is delicious in most forms, but Foreign Extra is definitely the king. I always love the draught as well - always a solid bet at some places with limited beer menus. I really didn't think the 250th anniversary stout was very good though... Porterhouse Wrassler is probably my favorite Irish stout. cheers!

When you diss Guinness, you diss yourself. Or else your just trying to impress some one.

ehh, not so much. ive never liked Guinness. and i have really tried to. and ive probably had it in every format available.

just dont like it........but i do like myself. so you are incorrect.

The Guinness Foreign Extra is one of the best beers I've had this year. I hosted a blind beer tasting for my friends a couple weeks ago. This beer scored the best out of 20 respectable beers.

Sam Smith's Old Brewery Oatmeal came 2nd.

I think Guinness is delicious in most forms, but Foreign Extra is definitely the king. I always love the draught as well - always a solid bet at some places with limited beer menus. I really didn't think the 250th anniversary stout was very good though... Porterhouse Wrassler is probably my favorite Irish stout. cheers!

ok....so you like the Draught and the Foreign Extra (which are at complete opposite ends of the Guinness spectrum), but you didn't like the 250th anniversary stout which was close in the spectrum to Foreign Extra and a pretty decent beer? I don't understand your assessments :confused:

Back