Rhizome Planting Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfarmer

Reaction score
Rhizome Planting Instructions

1) Dig a hole about the size of a gallon milk container

2) Mix up some potting soil with composted manure add a tablespoon of an Organic Fertilizer (Miracle Grow makes one now) and a teaspoon of borax.

3) Lightly pack 2 to 3 inches of the mix in the hole.

4) Select your Rhizome

5) Notice on the Rhizomes that there are white to reddish, purple nodes. These are your future bines. The tips of these should point towards the sky. Some Rhizomes will show no developed nodes as they have yet to emerge so it is harder to detect the angle they will grow look at the bump on the rootstock, generally the larger end of it should be planted towards china .It is very important that the nodes are pointed up towards the sun.

6) Hold the Rhizome in the hole nodes pointed up and push your mix around it lightly packing with the palm of your hand. Hill it up on top about 2 “. Give it a drink a few cups is enough. Depending on your weather, your bines should emerge in about 2 weeks. Don’t worry about freezing temps prior to emergence. The nodes generally will not go active until the soil is constantly above 40 degrees.

7) You can hold your Rhizomes in the fridge in a ziplock w a moist paper towel for a couple of months. I found some hidden in the back of the fridge the end of July and they came up. You may notice a little white mold on them and a rinsing w cool water will remove this no problem.

We have a limited supply or Certified Organic Rhizomes for sale ad a deal for HBT and Yahoo Grow Hops Members.Buy 4 get 1 free buy 10 get 4 free.Cheers Glen
http://www.coloradoorganichops.com/

Good, thorough, instructions. In case you need an abbreviated version:

1) Dig hole.
2) Drop Rhizome in, cover hole with dirt

Just in case - you never know, maybe you can make a book one day, and sell bookmarks using the abbreviated version.

Commercially we just push shovel into ground force shovel forward put rhizome in gently pull shovel out and kick dirt from front of shovel on the rhizomes press lightly with the side of your foot to get the air out from around the roots. So dig ,drop and cover.

Generally 3.5 to 4' apart.If you are changing varietys go 7 to 8' .At home if you are doing rows keep at least 7' betweem them

Two questions:

I know this question has a lot of variables but about how much yield should I expect from each hop plant? I live in southern California and have really good soil (I get tomato trees most summers). I am thinking of planting a halertau, fuggles or goldings and something else TBD.

Can these be planted near another viney plant (grapes)? I have a row next to a wall that viney things do well at. Can grapes and hops grow and intermingle like grape and kiwi?

Two questions:

I know this question has a lot of variables but about how much yield should I expect from each hop plant? I live in southern California and have really good soil (I get tomato trees most summers). I am thinking of planting a halertau, fuggles or goldings and something else TBD.

Can these be planted near another viney plant (grapes)? I have a row next to a wall that viney things do well at. Can grapes and hops grow and intermingle like grape and kiwi?

I am on my second year with mine here in San Diego. I got Nada last year, as a matter of fact, the bines started dying off by July due to the roots getting hot (my theory). So just be sure whatever you plant is heat tolerant and don't let those roots get too hot. I will be putting up a shade barrier when it starts getting warmer hopefully resulting in better growth. On happy note, 2 of my 3 plants are already emerging :ban:

Thanks for this, Glen, very clear, thorough, and helpful. I brew organic beer and if I decide to grow hops would want to buy organic rhizomes like yours. Cheers,

Jim

Back