Low Pressure 6" Burner Issue Orange/Yellow Flame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryce

Reaction score
I come to a sticking point in my single tier build. I have three 6" inch BG12 burners that were high pressure but converted to low pressue with an orfice change. I'm feeding the burners from a standard LP tank into a Marshall 290 low pressure regulator. The gas is flowing through 1/2 inch ridgid tubing then each burner has ball values.

I keep getting a orange/yellow flame. I have blue at the base about 3 inchs tall and then orange/yellow about 2 feet into the air.

I have created my own orfices by taking a 1/8 brass threaded pipe and taping out the inside so I could screw is a drilled screw like item I got from Ace Hardware. I started out by drilling at 3/32 and made my way up one bit at a time until 1/8 with hardly any change.

NOW for the kicker that might be the issue. I don't have a 1/4 inch propane hose yet so I unscrewed one of my old stands hose which fitted into a BG14 burner highpressure that had a 30psi reg on it and a very small orfice. This is what is feeding Propane to my entire stand.

Could the hose be the issue? I really appreciate the help. I'm going a little crazy over this and literally loosing sleep.

I drilled one out as well that was below 3/32 actually the smallest bit in my set stillno real change. Just really confused since I thought a little larger hole was needed for low pressure. The only other thing I could think of is that some gas is slipping around the thread I tapped out in the 1/8 brass fitting but I would think that would be very small amount that is getting by. I wonder if since these burners were made for high pressure they can't be converted to low pressure because how they are casted. They look the same as the ones agrisupply sell that are low pressure but maybe something in the cast is different.

I'm using the BG12. I made assumption that the casting is the same and the only difference is the orfice that is being used. This might be wrong but they look like to be the same. I'm about to just spend $30 dollars get the others see what they look like.

Those are the ones I am planning on using and I plan to hard plumb them in...unless it becomes too difficult. I think the hard plumbed gas lines look cleaner than the flexible lines...just my opinion though

Thats what I did I plumbed them with hard lines as well. However at this point I'm having NO luck getting these to run at low pressure with the correct orfice sizing.

I'm using the BG12. I made assumption that the casting is the same and the only difference is the orfice that is being used. This might be wrong but they look like to be the same. I'm about to just spend $30 dollars get the others see what they look like.

It is the oriface, air mixture and the pressure, line diameter doesn't matter if you are talking 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 pipe.

Turn the flame down to 6" tall, go pour a glass of beer, take some time to relax and let the paint and oil burn off, 2 glasses if you are a fast consumer. You will be pleasantly surprised when the paint has given up the oils and other contaminants, the flame will turn blue and you can fine tune the air shutter. This happens with all the newly painted burners, some get more cheap paint than others and take longer to burn clean, but all start out with yellow,orange flames.

I hope its that easy. I'm always willing to do anything that takes drinking beer as the resolution.

Thanks to everyone!! I really appreciate your expert advise Kladue you never have let me down and I really appreciate all you do for this forum.

In the end I used the 1/16 bit size and dialed my ball value. I have solid blue flames now. I think I had a misconception of what I thought I should be seeing or more like hearing. Coming from High Pressure I'm used to hearing the howling of the pressure flowing through. Now I hear nothing and see only a whisper of a yellow/orange flame with 2.5-3 inchs of blue dancing in the air.

Gentlemen I bid you goodnight.

Back