Ranco wiring 240V

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_master

Reaction score
I tried to wire my ranco,once i plug it in wall outlet nothing hapen.There is no electricity on extension cord out of the ranco.
I wire it pretty much acording the chart that came with it.
What am i doing wrong?

I just noticed that you are in Croatia. This could be a problem because of the way the voltage is coming into your house.

In the US, 240V service is made up of 3 wires. two "hot" lines and one "neutral" line. Each of the hot lines carries 120V with opposite polarity. So, when you measure the voltage between the two hot lines, you see 240V. If you were to measure between one of the hot lines and the neutral line, you would see only 120V.

If I am correct, 240V service in Europe is entirely different. It does not use two 120V hot lines and one neutral line. Instead, it uses a single 240V hot line and a neutral line.

If your product is from the US and meant to be powered by 120V, you really need to have some sort of converter to change that 240V into 120V so that you can properly power the device. In the US, we can simply use one of the hot lines and the neutral to get 120V, but you might not have that luxury of your electricity does in fact come in as one 240V hot line and a neutral line.

I'm interesting in hearing more from you, and hope you have not damaged your controller by plugging it into a voltage source that is too large.

I just noticed that you are in Croatia. This could be a problem because of the way the voltage is coming into your house.

In the US, 240V service is made up of 3 wires. two "hot" lines and one "neutral" line. Each of the hot lines carries 120V with opposite polarity. So, when you measure the voltage between the two hot lines, you see 240V. If you were to measure between one of the hot lines and the neutral line, you would see only 120V.

If I am correct, 240V service in Europe is entirely different. It does not use two 120V hot lines and one neutral line. Instead, it uses a single 240V hot line and a neutral line.

If your product is from the US and meant to be powered by 120V, you really need to have some sort of converter to change that 240V into 120V so that you can properly power the device. In the US, we can simply use one of the hot lines and the neutral to get 120V, but you might not have that luxury of your electricity does in fact come in as one 240V hot line and a neutral line.

I'm interesting in hearing more from you, and hope you have not damaged your controller by plugging it into a voltage source that is too large.

Thanks for reply,yes you are correct about 240V service in Europe.
Controller is Ranco ETC-111000-000 Digital Temperature Controller and yes its from US.

I am(was) Electricity illiterate,untill i was about to wire ranco,i wired it as on data sheet ,and went through couple walkthroughs on net.
Once wired and pluged in, ranco shows no signs of life,after numerous hours of reading and comparing Us to Europian elec.standards and wiring i found a solution.

Hot wire out of cable has to go in tho 240V socket( 3- hole small "junction box" in upper right corner) along with 4" bypass wire.Then, other side of the wire goes to termostat(3- hole small junction box in a lower left corner)

And now it works like a charm :)

I am going to wire one for 240v soon as well. What hole(s) on the upper right junction box does the hot wire and bypass wire go into? I guess the hot wire goes in the one that says 240v... And what hole on the lower left box does the other end of the bypass wire go?

Back