Incoming goodies....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
Since the last few days, I have finally gone AG, and then I had a random conversation with a family member that is opening a microbrewery in china, and it came up that there is some extra equipment that is not going to be used.

So in the next few weeks I should be getting the following 40 gallon SS conical fermenter.

Some pics are as follows:

IMG_4330.jpg

Another one:

IMG_4332.jpg

The wife has already agreed to let me go BIG, so now to start figuring out what else I'll need to be able to brew 40 gallon batches.....

Is there really a way to say that I dont need to brew 425 bottles of beer at a time?

Cheers

Lucas

This is way beyond what I would ever drink. Not that 425 bottles isn't great, but what if the batch doesn't turn out so great? Then you're STUCK with 425 bottles of bad beer and a lot of money down the drain. I do ten gallon batches now, and my drinking can't keep up to production. I suppose it's nice, but the cellar is getting a bit crowded.

With two brother in laws, one brother of my own, and a ton of friends that think a 5 gallon batch is just right for a casual evening of drinking, Im sure that 40 gallon batches wouldnt last long.

I've been reading up on everyones setups, and I can tell that it will take a while before I can even start brewing that big. My first questions would be as follows:

What to use as a mash tun?

What to use as a cook pot for a batch that big?

Cheers

Lucas

With a 40 Gal conical I would build the brew rig around a 1bbl(31 Gal) system max. You still need head space in the fermenter or you will lose a lot of good beer during the blow off.

Wow, that is a sweet family member. Great find. 40 gallons is a lot of beer though. I guess if you don't already have a lot of friends it won't be hard to get some!

Now does anyone want to point me in the direction of a good place to start looking for the barrels for the basis of that system?

I've looked around and can find new barrels for 400 plus, but Im sure that there are other places to check out as well!

Cheers

Lucas

Goodies are nice, but I'd be more after the relative to see if they'll let you come work (on the side) for a month or two in China...:rockin:

Since its my dad, I dont think that would be a problem. At the moment, he is just in the early stages of setup, and probably wouldnt have the working brewery for a while, but the equipment is there, since he was evaluating vendors for everything that he'll need.

The facity is all set, here are some pictures for anyone who cares to check them out:

beerproduction.jpg

The brewery is a 125,000 square foot facility on 4 acres of land. The picture is of one of three buildings on the property, located in Heshan, Pearl River Delta in Southern China. Short distance from Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

Bottling area:

bottlingareaheashan.jpg

Shipping:

shippingarea.jpg

Wort Production:

wortproductionarea.jpg

At one point or another, Im sure that he'll be hiring a brewmaster, and then I'd be interested in seeing the operation in full swing.

Im sure I could even arrange for forums members to go and check it out if there was any interest... put in some work, get to see it all first hand, or at least thats how he's done things with his other businesses in china.

Cheers

Lucas

Lucas,

I see you're in Silicon Valley. In Oakland there is a Great Harvest Bread Co. I work at a Great Harvest in North Carolina, and most of the stores buy honey in 55 gallon barrels. When we finish one, we just recycle it, but I bet you could get one from the store. I think it could make a fine brew kettle.

Back