What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FermentNEthinG said:
I am a fan out of the bottle myself. I had to try these nitro cans when I seen them though. Makes for a very light beer in the mouth feel area.

Oh ok, I see what you're saying. I've had the Murphy's Stout in the nitro can and it does "flatten" it out a lot. I'll probably try the Youngs in the can, but every time I think about getting it I see something else I want to try.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Totally agree. Really good, but not nearly what some make it out to be. A comparison to 90 Min is a good one, malt forward, li'l to sticky and not nearly enough hops.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejWi4fmxcEI&list=UUpACreb1E23Z3anMUkHi0qg&index=1

But I think this year, even the east coasters are a tad less than blown away by this beer. Still, if you want some, let me know. I'll give you my honest opinion after I try this year's.

It's good and all, but this is the only year I've had it so I can only speak for that. Has a nice hop presence, but I'd take an Abrasive any day over Hopslam. Actually, I'd take an Abrasive any day over most things. ;)

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Totally agree. Really good, but not nearly what some make it out to be. A comparison to 90 Min is a good one, malt forward, li'l to sticky and not nearly enough hops.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejWi4fmxcEI&list=UUpACreb1E23Z3anMUkHi0qg&index=1

But I think this year, even the east coasters are a tad less than blown away by this beer. Still, if you want some, let me know. I'll give you my honest opinion after I try this year's.

There's a lot of other stuff you can get that I'd take in a heartbeat over the Hopslam.

20130129_201153_LLS.jpg

My BIL does know how to make a nice clear crisp IPA, even if he can't invest in some proper glassware.

There's a lot of other stuff you can get that I'd take in a heartbeat over the Hopslam.

Just say the word, man.

Li'l Cascazilla action. This one's from a buddy in NY, but good ol' Nuke sent me a bottle too.

HPIM1966.jpg

Lots going on in this one, caramel-y malts, a touch of dry, roast-y character and some nice, citrus-y hops.

More Hopslam, gotta drink it fresh... I agree with others comments regarding lack of hoppiness. I didn't try it any other year, but this is more balanced than I expected. It's good, but I want something that has hops that jump out of the bottle ninja style that slap me in the face.

Yeah, kicked alotta foam. :ban: No, that's always a sad moment when ya go for a pint and the keg says "F you, you're getting a 4 oz sampler". Time to brew more.

I'm considering my options....my next batch is definitely going to be a mild, but after that it's open season. I am thinking about making something more along the lines of a "session" IPA for my next hop monster. This past one was really fantastic all the way to the last glass, many thanks (I think) to my tossing a few ounces of hops into the keg in a weighted-down bag when I racked it. Every pour has been super aromatic and flavorful...I'm probably going to do that on every batch I dry hop from now on.

Also, I have 20 gallons of beer already in fermenters, but they are all at least a couple months away from being kegged. A batch of sour that's several months away, and three lagers that are at least ONE month but probably more like 2-3.

GNR Ipa- Galena,Nelson,Rakau.Floral/Citrus mostly. One of my better ipas also, starting to show some age slightly with slight oxidation,maybe just from overcarb.8 mo. old and holding up very nicely! Still brightly aromatic though Its nice to have a carbed homebrew,because my latest beers are taking FOREVER to carb up. Think Im starting to lean fully towards all R/O with salts for brewing,since the few I did that with seem better. I cant really find that good of a spring water around here. Its actually a bit darker and is very clear, and weighing in at 5.8% it kindof reminds me a of less malty/lighter version of Widmer Bro. Rotator IPa/ or Nectar IPA. Definatly a nice dry/clean WestCoast style. Hmm. I think I will have to have either of those right now. Just so happens the hundred or so variety in my beer fridge happens to have a few of those still. Im proud of that too,every house should have a fridge full of(mostly) good beer. Think I would be prouder if mine was full of homebrew but unfortuantly its not. I just have good ageing beer some better than others,just like with any brewery.

0129032000a.jpg

I had to crack open a Belgian Red just so I could test this thread by posting something on it. A good excuse to drink a great homebrew after a long day, thanks Weirdboy.

I'm considering my options....my next batch is definitely going to be a mild, but after that it's open season. I am thinking about making something more along the lines of a "session" IPA for my next hop monster. This past one was really fantastic all the way to the last glass, many thanks (I think) to my tossing a few ounces of hops into the keg in a weighted-down bag when I racked it. Every pour has been super aromatic and flavorful...I'm probably going to do that on every batch I dry hop from now on.

If you nail a recipe for something like a session IPA, I'd love to see the recipe.

This IIPA is such a classic. Big hop, big malt, big abv... just the way it should be.

HPIM1971.jpg

NordeastBrewer77 said:
This IIPA is such a classic. Big hop, big malt, big abv... just the way it should be.

I need that! It was so good on tap at Three Floyds. I'd love to have it again.

I'm enjoying a Firestone Walker Wookey Jack. Bevmo has bombers at $5 bucks each if you get two, so I grabbed four for $20. I highly recommend this beer to any hoppy beer lover, the flavor is simply amazing.

Back