Priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I just sampled a batch of northern brewer caribou slobber and noticed that its quite a bit more carbonated than my previous batches of other styles. I used the priming sugar that came with the extract kit. Anyone have any idea why this would be. My concern is that because of sediment yeast cake etc i don't get a full 5 gallons (more like 41/2) could this be the issue ?

There are a variety of variables that could cause this:

The temperature you add the priming sugar can alter carbonation.
Did you age the bottles at a higher temperature than the previous beers?
Your loss of volume due to yeast cake may be correct, I always add a bit more to fermentation in order to anticipate the loss to yeast cake. About 5.25 gallons.

If I add to the fermenter won't that "water down" the finished product ??

If I add to the fermenter won't that "water down" the finished product ??

I think histo320 means they ferment 5.25-5.5 gallons to begin with to account for losses to trub, not that they add top off water if they're short.

Although I have added top off water before and as long as its not a ton of water (say a half gallon or so) you won't notice much of a difference.

Back