My Vanilla Porter does not taste like Vanilla... Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I cracked open the first brew last night after 2 weeks in the bottle and I was less than impressed to say the least. At bottling time I stole a sample with the theif and poured it in a cup and the vanilla flavor was definitely there, not overpowering but a nice aftertaste compliment to the Porter. The beer sat on 2 vanilla beans prepared per everyones advice being split, scraped, and soaked in vodka for a little over 2 weeks.

When I cracked the bottle and had that first sip I was astounded at the complete lack of vanilla. Nothing, none. I am trying to figure out how this is even possible. Perhaps it needed to be stirred in to distribute the flavor more evenly??? I was dead certain this was going to be just like a Vanilla porter clone due to the taste on bottling day.

Ideas?

I've only done a few brews with vanilla so take this for what it's worth: I have found that the vanilla flavor mellows a bit as the beer matures. I compensate by letting the flavor get a bit more intense than I want before I bottle.

Possibly when you sampled from the bottling bucket you had just added the priming sugar? Vanilla needs a little sweetness in the background. Try dissolving 1/3 tsp of sugar in a little water, then pour the porter. If that solves the problem, use about 1/2 cup of lactose in your next batch or more caramel 60L.

Can you at least smell it? That's about all I expected from my Vanilla Porter. I had tried Breckenridge's vanilla porter, and all I got was vanilla aroma, no taste at all. The best vanilla porter I ever had was brewed by a local brewpub, and they pushed it with nitrogen which gave it a nice touch. (they also served a wheat beer with Nitrogen once, called it cream of wheat)

I just finished drinking my keg of vanilla bourbon porter. When I first kegged, just after mixing in the bourbon, all I could taste was bourbon. I let it age at room temp for a month taking small samples every week. After a couple of weeks the vanilla became more prominent. The vanilla did mellow some with time. In my case, after some aging, all the flavors came together for a truly awesome beer. The vanilla came through up front, then the character of the bourbon ( but without the heat)then it finished with a slightly roasty taste. I used two whole vanilla beans in the secondary and I thought it was the perfect amount.

I had my porter (5 gal) sitting on top of 2.5 of split vanilla beans for 2 weeks in the secondary. It was overpowering at first but has mellowed quite nicely and is very enjoyable to drink. I didn't soak the vanilla beans in vodka, though, and also kegged/force-carbonated the porter. The vanilla smell comes through well and is definitely complements the chocolate malt well. Mmm. It's close enough to lunch here that I think I talked myself into one.

My wife actually prepared the beans. If I recall, she just split them and we through the beans & all the innards into the carboy before racking.

To answer a few things...

The sample I tasted before bottling was straight from the carboy. It was prominent and I got very excited that I had created a Breckenridge clone. So no sugar was in the mix... although I will try that idea.

Can you smell it anymore? No, not at all.... :mad:

Back