Proper way to carbonate your keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wk75

Reaction score
After some discussion around the office, I need some help from the master brewers out there.

Can someone tell me the proper way to carbonate a keg. One guy thinks you fill the keg with 30psi and shake the hell out of it. Just dosen't seem right shaking up all of that homebrew when it has been sitting still for a few weeks.

If someone can tell me the proper way to carbonate a keg, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Walt

"An honest brew makes it's own friends" -John Molson

Your buddy is right. Chill it. Put it under 30-40 PSI, and shake the hell out of it. Then let it sit under 30-40 PSI for another day or two or as long as you can stand.

The shaking isn't necessary...you can just leave it chilled and under gas pressure, but shaking it speeds things up a lot. It'll take a week or more otherwise. Any trub that makes it in there will settle out again anyway and will come out in the first pint.

It needs to be cold for the CO2 to dissolve.

Latest posts

Back