Beersmith mash adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
In poking around on hopville, all of their recipe formulations are designed to do mash infusions at the boil. This seems a lot simpler than trying to hit a target temp like you have to do with Beersmith. As far as I can tell, the only way to adjust your infusion temp in Beersmith is to decrease the infusion volume, which makes sense....less water at a hotter temp to hit your target mash temp, but it shorts you on you boil volume.

Is there a way to force BeerSmith to figure your mash infusions at boil temp and still maintain the boil volume? Is there a way to adjust the strike temp/volume to accommodate the higher infusion temps?

I'd be surprized that would work. An off-the-cuff estimate would put a boiling mash-in at a water:grain ratio of ~0.75:1 (instead of the usual 1.5-2:1). I don't think you'd even get a mash with that volume; I think you'd get more of a damp grain.

Bryan

I'd be surprized that would work. An off-the-cuff estimate would put a boiling mash-in at a water:grain ratio of ~0.75:1 (instead of the usual 1.5-2:1). I don't think you'd even get a mash with that volume; I think you'd get more of a damp grain.

Bryan

I was thinking more like mashing in thinner to account for the reduced volume of the hotter infusion(s).

By which you mean additions after the initial mash-in? If so, its easy - go to the mash tab of your recipe. Click on the mash step you wish to alter, and click the edit button open up the 'mash step' sub-panel. Edit the "Water to add" volume until the infusion temp reads the desired temp.

Bryan

By which you mean additions after the initial mash-in? If so, its easy - go to the mash tab of your recipe. Click on the mash step you wish to alter, and click the edit button open up the 'mash step' sub-panel. Edit the "Water to add" volume until the infusion temp reads the desired temp.

Bryan

I do that, but it decreases the amount of infusion water to less than 25% of what was required at the lower temp. Does that just mean sparge more for boil volume?

Back