Who else has received their delivery from Great Lakes? (pix)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trellis is done. What do you think? Crowns will be here tomorrow!! :mug:

Its a little tight up top but we will see

Gets sun from about 12pm until sundown.

0327121019.jpg

where are you going to plant the hops? in between the stakes, or directly in front of them? depending on your answer: are you concerned about hops getting all tangled together at the top?

where are you going to plant the hops? in between the stakes, or directly in front of them? depending on your answer: are you concerned about hops getting all tangled together at the top?

directly in front of the stakes. I'm a little "concerned" they are all "c" hops so we will see what happens.

I'm glad I found this thread. Just placed my order and first time ordering hops, so I got a variety.

Mt. Hood, Centennial, Magnum, Willamette, Chinook, Perle, and Nugget.

Thoughts?

I'm glad I found this thread. Just placed my order and first time ordering hops, so I got a variety.

Mt. Hood, Centennial, Magnum, Willamette, Chinook, Perle, and Nugget.

Thoughts?
very nice variety and a good mix of bittering & aroma/flavor. also a nice variety within the aroma/flavor hops. well done. if you find yourself with extra room next season, you could always throw in a cascade, although you will already have a centennial for that "american hop" flavor..

got mine today. was gonna plant today but weather is calling for a freeze tomorrow and didn't want them to start their life in my yard with that

we have not had freeze, but after planting them last Thursday, 2 of my six plants look rather dead.....lost all their leaves and the bines have dried out......I hope they will make it......

I did follow the directions that came with the plants.....I guess these are grown in a greenhouse, and so they go through a little bit of a shock when first planted outside? How long should I give the plants to recover fully and start growing?

boss13 - don't panic, at least not yet. give them 2 weeks although they might come back sooner than that. there should still be enough energy stored up in the roots to send up new bines. the sprouts might have been killed by the cold or frost, but chances are good that the lower roots/rhizome is still alive.

Wife reminded me that we have had a freeze warning, but IMO it's still way early. I have way too many sprouts to worry about a freeze at this time. Plus, In my experience it takes a bit to really kill them.

boss13 - don't panic, at least not yet. give them 2 weeks although they might come back sooner than that. there should still be enough energy stored up in the roots to send up new bines. the sprouts might have been killed by the cold or frost, but chances are good that the lower roots/rhizome is still alive.

Thanks.

As much as I loved the GLH product, I'd hate to see it go to waste at a 2 out of 6 rate.....

I wanted to be a cool kid too and post a picture of my plants that came yesterday. The top pic is all 6 sitting in the kitchen sink in my mini brewery. I have them living there until tomorrow after the frost we're supposed to get. The bottom pic is just to show the base of monster chinook they sent me

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

One of the 3 cascade that I ordered. I was impressed, highly recommend these folks to anyone thinking about starting to grow hops. These things put rhizomes to shame!

IMAG0529.jpg

He told me to pick a date. On that day 2 1/2 weeks ago I got a email shipping notice.

Thanks, that's good to know. I ordered a while ago and put a note of
Planting in Connecticut, Zone 6A. I think shipping April 15th would be best, but you probably know better than I do.
so I wasn't entirely sure when these were coming. Definitely glad I'll have a bit of a heads up.

Anyone have experience with crowns. These are the first plants I have EVER planted... kinda sad. Anyways, I planted them in a bed of supersoil, lightly mulched. Water everyday?? Just a little at a time? Do people build structures to "lightly shade" the plants?

I feel like a newbie beer brewer I just continuously over analyze and fixate on these plants lol

Anyone have experience with crowns. These are the first plants I have EVER planted... kinda sad. Anyways, I planted them in a bed of supersoil, lightly mulched. Water everyday?? Just a little at a time? Do people build structures to "lightly shade" the plants?

I feel like a newbie beer brewer I just continuously over analyze and fixate on these plants lol

Keep the soil completely wet all the time until they root in. Then allow them to dry down in between cycles. Don't let the roots sit in saturation though. Make sure the excess water drains away from the root zone. Wait a week or so and see if there is any new growth. When a burst of growth starts hit them with some nitrogen in a balanced fertilizer (3 numbers on bag). Organic is great. It will be black powder. Don't overdue it though. Water the fertilizer in well.

I ordered a few days ago and have heard nothing. I wonder if they will just send them or if I need to communicate.

I have very little experience with crowns too. I bought too many cascade rhizomes last year late in the season and now i have about 14 crowns. I'm only trying to take care of about 4 and the rest i'm experimenting with cuz i don't need that many cascades. Anyhow.... I wasn't quite sure what the best way to get my new plants in the ground was either. So thanks to those of you who are sharing your experience with us.

I ordered a few days ago and have heard nothing. I wonder if they will just send them or if I need to communicate.

GLH sends a shipping notification. I wondered the same thing. I got a notice on monday and had my hops on wednesday

we have not had freeze, but after planting them last Thursday, 2 of my six plants look rather dead.....lost all their leaves and the bines have dried out......I hope they will make it......

I did follow the directions that came with the plants.....I guess these are grown in a greenhouse, and so they go through a little bit of a shock when first planted outside? How long should I give the plants to recover fully and start growing?

Any plants that have been grown for a couple of months in a 60-70* greenhouse need to be acclimated to your climate if you live in a northern state. With the heat wave we had in the last couple of weeks greenhouse temps can push into the 90's. You cannot receive these plants with all of that tender foliage and plant them outside. This is why your plants look dead. The shoots probably were frosted. Here in Michigan I can expect freezing temps up to the middle of May. I'm sure your frost date is even later being in Minn. While your plants took a hit, they will push up new shoots when the soil temps get up to where they need to be. You just happened to experience the reason why I wouldn't get too excited to receive a tender plant in March.
For anyone else out there that is receiving any crowns with 12" of tender growth on it needs to pot them up and only put them outside during the day and then put them in the garage at night. We are going to have many more frosty nights.
Or if you don't care about the current foliage on the crowns you received, you can plant it as is and prune the foliage off and let the plant start over on its own.

Any plants that have been grown for a couple of months in a 60-70* greenhouse need to be acclimated to your climate if you live in a northern state. With the heat wave we had in the last couple of weeks greenhouse temps can push into the 90's. You cannot receive these plants with all of that tender foliage and plant them outside. This is why your plants look dead. The shoots probably were frosted. Here in Michigan I can expect freezing temps up to the middle of May. I'm sure your frost date is even later being in Minn. While your plants took a hit, they will push up new shoots when the soil temps get up to where they need to be. You just happened to experience the reason why I wouldn't get too excited to receive a tender plant in March.
For anyone else out there that is receiving any crowns with 12" of tender growth on it needs to pot them up and only put them outside during the day and then put them in the garage at night. We are going to have many more frosty nights.
Or if you don't care about the current foliage on the crowns you received, you can plant it as is and prune the foliage off and let the plant start over on its own.

So are you saying the foliage we received is basically going to die off and the crown root system will restart?

Keep the soil completely wet all the time until they root in. Then allow them to dry down in between cycles. Don't let the roots sit in saturation though. Make sure the excess water drains away from the root zone. Wait a week or so and see if there is any new growth. When a burst of growth starts hit them with some nitrogen in a balanced fertilizer (3 numbers on bag). Organic is great. It will be black powder. Don't overdue it though. Water the fertilizer in well.

yeah you will get a shipping notification.

thanks for the response I have basically been watering until the soil is saturated and moist but not pooling. basically when I put my finger in the dirt is just sticky dark soil on my finger.

yeah you will get a shipping notification.

thanks for the response I have basically been watering until the soil is saturated and moist but not pooling. basically when I put my finger in the dirt is just sticky dark soil on my finger.

Also the warmer the temp the faster it will grow. Try to give it direct sunlight as much as possible unless it is very bright and hot out (over 85). If it gets really cold at night, bring them inside and return in the morning. Cold sets the plants back by thinking it is still winter. My cascade rhizome is sitting in direct sun right now and there has been growth just in the time I put it out there today which is about 10 times that of the partial shade it was in.

So are you saying the foliage we received is basically going to die off and the crown root system will restart?

It all depends on the temperatures that you subject it to without acclimation. The term is "hardening" off. You need to get it used to the colder temps gradually without damaging the soft leaves. The two week heat wave we had here in Michigan no doubt pushed all of that growth. I don't know where you live so maybe you might not get too cold from here on out. I was mainly referring to the northern states. Where I am, we are forecasted for 29 tomorrow night. If I had received some of those nice hop crowns, I would not want them outside at 29*. I know people like to get excited for spring but it's still March. We have a long way to go to get through the frosted nights.....at least here in Mich.
For my existing hops, I normally cut off all of my first shoots in April and wait for the second flush in May. Right now they are up about 4-8" so I plan on trimming them when they get a little higher. IMO, I would not have wanted to receive crowns from GLH with any growth. That way, I would not have to worry about babying them.

Another idea is just plant them and not worry if they get frosted. They will push up new bines.

Also the warmer the temp the faster it will grow. Try to give it direct sunlight as much as possible unless it is very bright and hot out (over 85). If it gets really cold at night, bring them inside and return in the morning. Cold sets the plants back by thinking it is still winter. My cascade rhizome is sitting in direct sun right now and there has been growth just in the time I put it out there today which is about 10 times that of the partial shade it was in.

Thanks! they are in the ground so they will have to take what mother nature dishes out.

BradleyBrew said:
Thanks! they are in the ground so they will have to take what mother nature dishes out.

Mother nature works solely on the principle of tough love. She's got cold hard teets and they're not for suckling

very nice variety and a good mix of bittering & aroma/flavor. also a nice variety within the aroma/flavor hops. well done. if you find yourself with extra room next season, you could always throw in a cascade, although you will already have a centennial for that "american hop" flavor..

Thanks, I was just going off the Alpha range for the plants in the Hybrid 6 pack. Then I saw the Perle for barleywines, had to get it. I be give a plant or two to a friend of mine to grow. Still have received a notification of shipping. I hope to get one soon since the credit card was charged.

I have small planters coming that I will place them in here in Philly, in a south facing window, until it warms up a bit more Then some will go to Southern Delaware and a couple to my friend that is a bit north of Philly. Thoughts on what should go where or does it matter?

It all depends on the temperatures that you subject it to without acclimation. The term is "hardening" off. You need to get it used to the colder temps gradually without damaging the soft leaves. The two week heat wave we had here in Michigan no doubt pushed all of that growth. I don't know where you live so maybe you might not get too cold from here on out. I was mainly referring to the northern states. Where I am, we are forecasted for 29 tomorrow night. If I had received some of those nice hop crowns, I would not want them outside at 29*. I know people like to get excited for spring but it's still March. We have a long way to go to get through the frosted nights.....at least here in Mich.
For my existing hops, I normally cut off all of my first shoots in April and wait for the second flush in May. Right now they are up about 4-8" so I plan on trimming them when they get a little higher. IMO, I would not have wanted to receive crowns from GLH with any growth. That way, I would not have to worry about babying them.

Another idea is just plant them and not worry if they get frosted. They will push up new bines.

Good to know. About all 5 of my six plants have now lost the original growth but they are starting to push new bines......We have not had the temperature drop under 40, which is unheard of in MN this time of year, but still probably too low for plants taken out of greenhouse....not to mention that is the air temperature but considering the soil temperature and wind chill it can still get breezy at night.....We are supposed to hit 80 this weekend....summer in March?

I built my trellis today. My hops have been in the ground a week and are really taking off.

photo-7-1.jpg

My Chinook is growing like a weed.

photo-7-2.jpg

Willamette:

photo-10.jpg

Right on man, got mine a couple of days ago & was quite concerned that nights are still getting down to low 20's here.

They are impressive! So in an effort to not harm my new babies they're potted on the kitchen sill right now. Tommorrow they'll start spending daytime outside, for a week or so, can't really trust that frost is done until mid May.

Just got notice my hops are shipping today. Should be here tomorrow or next day. Time to start figuring out where to plant them and how to tell the wife I am growing more hops.

Found out my hops shipped today. Will hopefully have them in planters this week in the apartment and transplanted in a week or two at the house.

I ordered mine today. Glacier, Willamette, Centennial, Perle, Nugget and Cascade.

Hope they fare better than the rhizomes I planted last year.

Anyone know if they Do they do "will call" pickup? Im in Lansing Saturday and almost have the wife convinced to let me hit Founders on Sunday.

Got mine in today and transplanted into pots. They look really good for being in the mail for three days. Now waiting for the second transplant in a couple weeks.

2012-04-05_23-33-06_796.jpg

Planted my two centennials two days ago. 2 nights ago placed a blanket over them to prevent frost burn. Last night was even colder. Put a jug of hot water in with them. And put blankets over my 4 year hops with a light bulb under there to keep them warm enough.

The hops from Great Lakes were very nice looking and healthy. I'd definitely buy again.

Damn. I wish I knew about them before I preordered my pitiful little stick rhizomes. After 2 weeks my Centennial and Cascasde aren't as big as those and my Chinook is nowhere to be seen.

Good luck to everyone.

Back