Italian Beef Sandwiches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
A Chicago favorite!

2 lbs of round steak, cut into thin slices
2 cans of beef stock
2 packages of Italian Dressing seasoning

mini french bread loafs
Giardinara and/or sweet peppers
Shredded cheddar

Put steak, stock, and seasoning into a crock-pot and cook. Never let the liquid level get low.

When it's ready, slice open a mini-french bread loaf and fill with meat, giardinara and cheese. Fan-friggin-tastic.

The base sandwich has two names. With cheese, it's a Cheezy Beef. Without, it's just an Italian Beef sandwich. You never use fake cheese on a cheezy beef.

Some places will use a large croissant instead of a french bread loaf.

The variation on the base sandwich is to cook an italian sausage and put it on your french bread loaf, then put your beef and giardinara on top of it. That's the "Combo".

If you're ever in Chicago, ask someone to take you to Portillos and order a cheezy beef sandwich, hot (with giardinara) and wet (they dip the entire sandwich in the juice). I heard they opened a Portillos in California so you can try it there too.

Tastes best with cheese fries and a cold beer.

I prefer mozzarella, but I like cheddar with a croissant.

I'm curious, how do you slice the steak? It seems to me that it would be impossible to get it thin enough without a deli slicer.

rdwj said:

I'm curious, how do you slice the steak? It seems to me that it would be impossible to get it thin enough without a deli slicer.

My wife made this recipe. The butcher cut it for her. Just ask them to and they will. It doesn't need to be super thin at first, it'll cook down. Get it as thin as you can though.

rdwj said:

I roast my beef first then slice it real thin with a knife after it's rested and cooled. Works well.

I hear you.

I roast my beef rare. Slice then add it to the beer and mushroom gravy and put in the oven for 30 minutes before serving. I suppose you could put it in a microwave for a few minutes but I like the gravy to marinate the beef slowly and it keeps it tender rather than toughening it up.

Do you ever put some pepper (either red pepper flakes or jalepenos or gardinara) into the broth so it'll be spicy when you dip the sandwich?

As a kid in the Chicago area, the Italian beef always had green peppers cut into thin strips and cooked a bit. I believe most places roasted the beef first as well. And it was never served with cheese.

Of course, I lived south of Chitown. Those folks up north had odd habits.

david_42 said:
As a kid in the Chicago area, the Italian beef always had green peppers cut into thin strips and cooked a bit. I believe most places roasted the beef first as well. And it was never served with cheese.

Times have changed.

The Giardinara adds the heat to the sandwich. Variants serve the sandwich on garlic bread and bake it with provolone.

Any of you IL folks ever try the Grand Daddy of sandwiches...the Merichka's Poor Boy? Unlike ANYTHING you've ever had. Uses about a pint of garlic butter per sandwich.

david_42 said:

I'm a southsider - at least originally.

The peppers you're talking about are sweet peppers. Personally, I like mine hot, but a good sweet pepper is nice too. Most places charge extra for cheese, but it really improves the sandwich IMHO.

rdwj said:
I'm a southsider - at least originally.

Yes, and you've worked very hard to get a good wife and family. You don't need to keep letting that skeleton out of your closet. Let your family retain some pride - quit outting them as southsiders. It's bad enough you wear black.

I found that the round tends to get a little dry when it is cooked past medium. So I use chuck roast. It holds its moisture better. I also add some pepperoncini peppers and the juice when I cook it. When it is real tender I shred it for sandwiches.

Al

Back