I am Confused.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
So I was originally going to jump to AG brewing but the parents have put a stop to that saying,"Not until you have your own place!".... I guess they are
my SWMBO.

Up until now I've been doing extract with steeping grains. It is now to my understanding that little fermentable sugars come from steeping grains. Which then leads me to my conclusion that Beersmith doesn't know the difference between steeping grains and Mashing when calculating Gravity of a recipe. So all of my recipies in beersmith with steeping grains are not correct in regards to the calculated OG. Am I correct to assume that any "Grains" added to beersmith are automatically assumed to be mashes?

So with all this in mind...and the fact i take 30mins to steep grains anyway....why the hell am I not Partial Mashing?

my last question, and this may be simple if Beersmith assumes grains are being mashed when calculating OG. How do I know how much DME I'll need to add to hit a specific Gravity? I'm really hoping beersmith can do this... I hate math.

Beersmith assumes that your grains are all steeping when you do an Extract recipe. You can also choose Partial Mash or All Grain. It is the second field on the top row of your recipe view.

Beersmith assumes that your grains are all steeping when you do an Extract recipe. You can also choose Partial Mash or All Grain. It is the second field on the top row of your recipe view.

+1

Beersmith knows what it's doing. To see, make a new recipe, make it extract, make it 1 gallon, and add 1 lb of, say, crystal 60.

Look at the estimated OG.

Now switch it to Partial mash or all grain.

Look at the estimated OG again.

It'll be higher in the second case.

Back