The new brewer. A cautionary tale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricochetbrew

Reaction score
I am a fairly new member to HBT but am amazed by the beginning brewer forum. I wished I would have known about it when I started brewing 8 years ago. I truly enjoy reading the questions posted and get a chuckle when I come across someone who made similar mistakes in their first brews as I did.
That being said I wanted to touch on two common mistakes new brewers make when starting out. I think even the seasoned brewers can agree that they either fell into one of these two categories or at least dabbled with them.
Before I launch into my theory I want to say that I am in no way targeting any single brewer on this thread. I am simply making an observation based upon reading numerous threads and my own experience/mistakes.
Here. Goes. New brewers, myself included typically make two major mistakes when they start brewing. These mistakes are trying to make incredibly high gravity beers right out of the gate and trying to get mad scientist in the Brew pot by creating crazy recipes or messing with adjuncts.
When I started brewing I wanted to make beer with a crazy high ABV. While this can be a fun way to impress your friends, without a sound understanding of what makes beer alcoholic your recipes will suffer. I added everything from honey to boiled corn sugar to my wort just trying to make high gravity beer. I didn't know anything about extracts or grain bills, and much less about brew house efficiency and the conversion of starches. This led to beers that I simply couldn't be proud of. Off flavors and odd mouthfeel was the signature of my first brews.
Secondly new brewers want to shoot right out of the gate playing mad scientists and creating crazy unique recipes without the basic principles of brewing mastered. Everyone wants to make a triple cherry upside down stout with a twist without the knowledge of how different ingredients effect the finished beer. I tried cinnamon, molasses, peach pulp, and some crazy stuff I am too embarrassed to mention in order to create the coolest new recipe around.
All of this to say I wish I would have had someone sit me down and say " hey stick to the basics dummy". I am not saying don't experiment or don't try to expand your recipes. All I am saying is take awhile when your starting out to learn the principles, read books talk to seasoned vet and most importantly brew. Build a foundation based on a sound understanding of brewing principles and take very detailed notes on your processes. This will lead to great beer that you can be proud to share with family a friends. There will be many future brews to create your masterpieces and when you perfect that triple cherry upside down stout with a twist I hope you will send one my way!
Good luck on future brews
Ryan.

I even regret choosing a lager for my first brew. The temperature requirements are somewhat doable as I live in NY and it is winter, but I can be exact. Once I make an ale that people request more of, then I will move on to the experimentation.

I agree with everything you said.

I totally agree,Too many noobs wanna brew their first beer with tons of ABV & wild flavor additions. I just brewed the kit that came with my starter kit straight up,disregarding the shorter timtables given in the instructions. They just want to sell more kits quickly.
so I took some advice on here & it came out pretty good in the end. It's more important to use a simple recipe so you can concentrate on developing a sound brewing method as you move on to bigger & better things. I did that,& now am into partial mash,thinking of new ways to use those pre-hopped cans of days gone by. It comes with experience,not just desire. You can't short cut experience.

Very good post.

And how true. Almost every day someone wants to know how to boost ABV on their first brew. Stick to tried and true recipes when you start, learn the brewing process, and then you can begin to experiment using the knowlege and techniques you have learned.

You can't short cut experience.

so true, but by reading this forum you can shorten the learning curve tremendously. :rockin:

I know Ive told several people that the single best thing they can do to make better beer is to read this forum daily. I dont consider myself new anymore but I still learn something from this site almost daily. The advice in the OPs post is spot on for new brewers.

I only brewed two kits before I dove into making my own extract recipes, and yes, I was guilty of going for gravity. 3 years later I do all-grain and am shooting for a nice 1.050 SG brew. How times change.

Jon73 said:
I only brewed two kits before I dove into making my own extract recipes, and yes, I was guilty of going for gravity. 3 years later I do all-grain and am shooting for a nice 1.050 SG brew. How times change.

I can always tell a new brewer from a seasoned bet simply by the beer styles they brew-

New = over-hopped über-high OG triple IPA
Old = 1.048 - 1.065 OG simple, good beer of various styles

I say this with absolutely no offense intended :D

I'm a noob, first thing I wanna do is make a beer that tastes good, using basic kit, then build on that, I wanna get my process in control the best I can before becoming adventurous :)

Great advice!!! There is so much to learn and no reason to complicate that beginner process.

I am at the process of bottling my first batch. It is an oatmeal stout brewed to the directions acoording to my gravity readings I will have a 5.5% Abv stout. I might add some vanilla Bourbon flavor to my next batch a porter. But that's not going to experimental. I love beer

Well Im a noob brewing an IPA. But thats only because I like higher alcohol beer and the local stores really have no selection except IPA. Also when I went to a local brew shop and bought my kit he basically recommended an IPA. Prolly because it was 60 dollars lol. I do feel it was a quality kit though. My finished product should be close to 7.3% ABV and I stuck to the directions to a tee. Nothing like wasting 60 bucks. Hopefully Ill make it 3 weeks in primary!

I have done most of the things you described, its almost like a kid in a candy store at the lhbs, a year later I have 5 excellent recipes I make regularly, all fairly simple, and I play around when I feel like it, I don't think I will make a galena, Amarillo hefe again though....

Guilty as charged...future brews will be simpler. I was overly aggressive trying a RIS and jalapeno ale with my earlier batches. (Still in fermenters...no judgement yet).

Going back to basics to focus on quality and consistency.

Ricochet...I'm only one city over from you. If there are any homebrew clubs or activities that you like around Sacramento, shoot me a PM.

Cheers

nvious23 said:
I am at the process of bottling my first batch. It is an oatmeal stout brewed to the directions acoording to my gravity readings I will have a 5.5% Abv stout. I might add some vanilla Bourbon flavor to my next batch a porter. But that's not going to experimental. I love beer

Sounds like your doing the right thing. Simple
Adjunct additions are not the main culprit. Nothing wrong with high gravity or an additional flavor. My advice is just don't get so overly concerned with them that you fail to Lear the art of the brew. I make a porter on the regular and often make a batch with a little vanilla.
Good luck on future brews.
Ryan.

BrewingPrepper said:
Well Im a noob brewing an IPA. But thats only because I like higher alcohol beer and the local stores really have no selection except IPA. Also when I went to a local brew shop and bought my kit he basically recommended an IPA. Prolly because it was 60 dollars lol. I do feel it was a quality kit though. My finished product should be close to 7.3% ABV and I stuck to the directions to a tee. Nothing like wasting 60 bucks. Hopefully Ill make it 3 weeks in primary!

I also like a higher alcohol beer so no problems with going that route as long as you are using quality ingredients to get there. If you bought a kit then your fine. I brewed dozens of kits before I started to write my own recipes. Can't say I found one that produced a 7+% beer! Glad you didn't blow the fermenter apart. ( guilty)
Ryan.

twalte said:
Guilty as charged...future brews will be simpler. I was overly aggressive trying a RIS and jalapeno ale with my earlier batches. (Still in fermenters...no judgement yet).

Going back to basics to focus on quality and consistency.

Ricochet...I'm only one city over from you. If there are any homebrew clubs or activities that you like around Sacramento, shoot me a PM.

Cheers

That's great always like hearing from a local home brewer. I have been deployed for the last year so I have not been active in many clubs. However I will be home this month and will get right back into it. I will PM you some of the organizations that I like. Also are you a Brewmiester customer? Erik S. has shops in Folsom and Roseville and is an awesome guy. He is very helpful and routinely puts on brewing classes for different levels of brewing. They are affordable and very helpful. As a matter of fact I may take his advanced brewing class when I return just for fun.
Maybe we can trade beers in the near future. My brother continued brewing when I was gone so I have three or four different beers either in the keg or bottle waiting or me. You better believe my first beer back will be a home brew. Good
Luck on future brews
Ryan.

That's great always like hearing from a local home brewer. I have been deployed for the last year so I have not been active in many clubs. However I will be home this month and will get right back into it. I will PM you some of the organizations that I like. Also are you a Brewmiester customer? Erik S. has shops in Folsom and Roseville and is an awesome guy. He is very helpful and routinely puts on brewing classes for different levels of brewing. They are affordable and very helpful. As a matter of fact I may take his advanced brewing class when I return just for fun.
Maybe we can trade beers in the near future. My brother continued brewing when I was gone so I have three or four different beers either in the keg or bottle waiting or me. You better believe my first beer back will be a home brew. Good
Luck on future brews
Ryan.

Ryan,

First - Thanks for your service!!! Glad to hear you are getting back this month.

Yes, I attended one of Erik's classes and look forward to taking an all grain class with him. I was just at the Brewmeister today buying bulk grains. I have been a very good customer, and I try to keep my spending local.

I would love to trade beers when you get back, but not until I get my process down. Still not happy with the beer clarity and taking measures to improve that. Once I get it down, I would welcome the opportunity.

Safe travels!!!

Good post.
On that note, it is difficult to find recipes with less than 4 different grains and 3 different hops.

Actually, I would like to try a lower alcohol beer for the dinner table.

One of my favorite books is Brewing Classic Styles. It has both all grain and extract recipes. These are great starting points for new and experienced brewers.

Yep. I threw a box of two-year-old sugar cubes into a kit trying to bump the abv by a point. Turned out to be a drain pour. Lesson learned.

I also like a higher alcohol beer so no problems with going that route as long as you are using quality ingredients to get there. If you bought a kit then your fine. I brewed dozens of kits before I started to write my own recipes. Can't say I found one that produced a 7+% beer! Glad you didn't blow the fermenter apart. ( guilty)
Ryan.

Well I am glad i didnt blow up the bucket but I didnt aerate as good as I couldve I am sure. Here is the recipe I used.

My kit ingredients list for 7.3% 100 IBU IPA
2 3.3 lb cans Briess golden light LME
1 3.3 lb Cans Muntons light LME
1.25 lb of specialty grains
1 oz of warrior
1 oz Columbus
1 oz of Cascade
1 oz of Galaxy
2 packs of Safale yeast

Mistakes I made...I used spray wort aerator prolly didnt do as well as dumping through a strainer. Also Im nervous that in the ice bath a few drops of water may have splashed in...I sure hope not. Lessons learned though!

Also Im nervous that in the ice bath a few drops of water may have splashed in...I sure hope not. Lessons learned though!

Don't sweat it. A fitting on my immersion chiller broke today and I'm sure a little bit of water got in my wort before I noticed. I'm not worried at all. I would have been if it was one of my first few batches, but not anymore. I'm not suggesting that you should be lax with sanitation, because you shouldn't, bit sometimes sh*t happens. When it does, RDWHAHB.

Yeah I've done this. Molasses, brown sugar, honey, etc. I was tempted to throw a little something extra into my last batch but refrained I didn't taste it yet, it's only been about a week since I brewed it.

twalte said:
Ryan,

First - Thanks for your service!!! Glad to hear you are getting back this month.

Yes, I attended one of Erik's classes and look forward to taking an all grain class with him. I was just at the Brewmeister today buying bulk grains. I have been a very good customer, and I try to keep my spending local.

I would love to trade beers when you get back, but not until I get my process down. Still not happy with the beer clarity and taking measures to improve that. Once I get it down, I would welcome the opportunity.

Safe travels!!!

Don't worry about the process. Focus on the basics and you will make great beer. Once u started taking detailed notes on all my brews each batch improved. I was able to figure out what I did right and what I did wrong with each brew and track the results. If you focus in temperature, both during the mash/boil and fermentation then note what you did your beer will be great. Also having someone else try your beers and give you honest feedback can help you to perfect your process.
Hopefully I will run into you at one of Erics classes or at the shop.
Ryan

Epimetheus said:
Good post.
On that note, it is difficult to find recipes with less than 4 different grains and 3 different hops.

Actually, I would like to try a lower alcohol beer for the dinner table.

I have nothing Bad to say about recipes with multiple grains or hop varietals. In fact I encourage new brewers to seek out these kits to learn about how different ingredients interact to create great beers. I just encourage new brewers to stick to what's in the kit. Don't try to get super creative and add adjuncts to your brew kettle without fully understanding how it will effect your final product. Taking a great kit and adding honey for example to boost ABV will in most cases only serve to lessen the drink ability of your beer.
Also lower alcohol beers simply utilize less fermentables. You can still make very flavorful beer with lower alcohol by reducing the grain bill or using less extract if you are an extract brewer.
Good luck on future brews!
Ryan.

work on technique, style follows

learning anything, start with fundamentals.
guitar? gotta learn the fretboard; chords and scales
photography? gotta learn exposure
reading & writing? gotta learn the alphabet

learn the science, the art follows

Ricochet - Thanks for the excellent post and especially for your service to our country.

I can always tell a new brewer from a seasoned bet simply by the beer styles they brew-

New = over-hopped über-high OG triple IPA
Old = 1.048 - 1.065 OG simple, good beer of various styles

I say this with absolutely no offense intended :D
:D I'm a beginner and I want to make overhopped high ABV IPA. But that's because I can't buy any IPA where I live, only simple, good beer of various styles.

I am a new brewer and totally am itching to play the mad scientist lol. I bought a NB kit that came with buckets. Rather than waiting the 3 weeks til my brewing vet buddy is ready to brew i go out buy a bunch of apple cider read up and try a recipe started on here. Then i decide you know i hate not being able to see the fermentation so i went to the LHBS and picked up a better bottle.

Then decided i want to brew another cider put it in 1 gallon jugs then to one add peaches, the other pears etc and play with the flavors and see what works and what doesnt.

Then i finally get to the NB kit with my buddy and my Irish red ale is bubbling along now.

The thing i didnt think about.. is i now have 15 gallons of booze and like 30 bottles to put it in... looks like I'll be doing a month or two aging in buckets lol.

As a new brewer, I think this is largely spot on.

My Favorite beers are Belgian Strong Dark/Quads. My first beer: Irish Red.

My kit I received as a gift had come with a Milk Stout, since the person buying it had said I liked "darker beers" - which while true, didn't give much insight into my actual tastes. I Do like stouts, but I haven't had enough of them to really know how to judge one (and I have never had a sweet stout) - so I returned it an got the Red.

The part I really think hits the nail on the head though, is the newbies who are always making the crazy mad-scientist additions. Not to say that doesn't make a fine beer once in a while, but to my sensibilities, it is far better to learn to make a handful of classic styles perfectly, before going on to tweak things on your own... I mean, if you don't have a good base beer, how are you going to make a good flavored beer?

My goal is to make some beers that myself and friends and family can enjoy drinking, before I start making up my own. Get the process dialed in.

Next up is a Belgian Dubbel from a kit. But I just got my STC-1000 so I am getting ready to control the temps, and I just built my stir-plate for my yeast starters.

One step at a time.

sc0tty81 said:
I'm a noob, first thing I wanna do is make a beer that tastes good, using basic kit, then build on that, I wanna get my process in control the best I can before becoming adventurous :)

This exactly. I'm considerably more concerned with creating a great tasting, enjoyable beer than something that may have off flavors and a terrible mouthfeel but has super high ABV. Fortunately my friends all agree, so I don't need to impress them on any level other than fashioning a wonderful beer.

I look at it as getting adventurous within certain style complexities. Like a pale ale with German & Czech hops. Turning an OS lager can into a sessionable ale version of salvator. Or my latest,a happy accident that looks to be my "Hopped & Confused" ale that thinks it's a pilsner. I love it when I don't get exactly what I want,but what I need. Idk...God must've set the muses upon me?...
This is one of the cool aspects of brewing. The things that can happen after you learn the ropes & your mind can wander free. Partial mash even moreso,which is what this latest one is.

Back