Can I bring keg to room temperature after it's been chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleephla

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I've recently had an ESB my chest freezer with a temperature controller at about 39 F for for three weeks. I've left the PSI at about the recommended amount of about 12 PSI with this temperature. My question is this: I'm going to brew an amber ale tomorrow and this needs to ferment at 65 F ideally. I would like to put my carboy in my chest freezer and change the temperature controller to set at 65 F. If I take my ESB out and leave it at room temperature, will this make any difference on the flavor/quality of the beer? Do I need to keep some PSI on it (obviously I'll need much more due to the increase in temperature) while at room temp? My plan was to ferment this amber for about 10 days at 65 and then just leave it out at room temperature.

I wouldn't normally mind the temperature change, but in the summer the coldest spot in my house gets upwards of 72-74 F and this is much higher than I want.

Thank you for reading! :)

At higher temps , you need more co2 to get the same carb levels as the colder liquid.

Edit: why not bottle from the keg and keep the brew cold. Read we need no stinking beer gun thread.

I pulled kegs out of my keezer when we moved and they sat in my garage for about a week at temps into the high 80's. When I put them back into the keezer and chilled them they tasted just like they did before the move. The kegs were not hooked up to the gas, but I did leave them pressurized to be sure no nasties could get in.

At higher temps , you need more co2 to get the same carb levels as the colder liquid.

Edit: why not bottle from the keg and keep the brew cold. Read we need no stinking beer gun thread.

I thought about that, but I hate the bottling process unless I absolutely have to. I'll just keep it pressured and try and keep it as cool is possible.

Thank you!

Sure you can take the keg out of the keezer. If it's been on the gas for 3 weeks already, then there is no need to leave it on CO2 when warm. The beer is already carbed and won't loose carbonation as long as you don't mess with it. When your done fermenting your bitter, you can put it back in with no ill results.

Sure you can take the keg out of the keezer. If it's been on the gas for 3 weeks already, then there is no need to leave it on CO2 when warm. The beer is already carbed and won't loose carbonation as long as you don't mess with it. When your done fermenting your bitter, you can put it back in with no ill results.

What he said ^

As long as you disconnect the gas and don't vent any pressure from the keg, you won't lose any carbonation. The headspace pressure will increase as it warms up, and then come right back to your serving pressure when you cool it back down to serve it later.

Latest posts

Back