Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah... my bad! Vortex... Vornado... lol both start with a V =)

I wish they made an inline vornado! It would probably be MUCH cheaper that the vortex :D

I have reached the point in my build again where the next steps are big hardware or series of many hardware pieces = at least $100 in one shot to completed... That is except for the mechanical stirrer for the HLT. Ordered the motor today!

Thinking of all my recent upgrades has me looking at my 15 gallon HLT and thinking... I should sell this and buy a 25 gallon HLT to match my 25G BK. Then convert that to another ePot!

argh... get me a sanity check please :D.... anyone interested?! haha

Thinking of all my recent upgrades has me looking at my 15 gallon HLT and thinking... I should sell this and buy a 25 gallon HLT to match my 25G BK. Then convert that to another ePot!

interested in a 15 gallon HLT? I could be! ;)

If you want to go the group buy route on 25 gallon, check this out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/100qt-180qt-stock-pot-bulk-buy-306149/. Scranton isn't all that far from Syracuse. I'm going for 2 20 gallon pots (at this point, trying to figure out if I should go for the 25 gallon ones, or even the 45 gallons ones! ).

interested in a 15 gallon HLT? I could be! ;)

if you are serious I might me too! It is an electric kettle though (basically the same design as Kals with the junction box and all). Not sure if you are in the market for one. You could either got direct plug in for 5500w to a wall, or start your own crazy build like several of us and control it with a PID.

Here is a picture of it.

I have replaced the element in it because I thing it screwed up. Turns out I had a bad SSR. Sounded like you were joking, but let me know if there is any seriousness to it :)

If you want to go the group buy route on 25 gallon, check this out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/100qt-180qt-stock-pot-bulk-buy-306149/. Scranton isn't all that far from Syracuse. I'm going for 2 20 gallon pots (at this point, trying to figure out if I should go for the 25 gallon ones, or even the 45 gallons ones! ).

Thanks for the link and idea - but I am sticking to megapot. They are top of the line quality IMO. Better build quality than blichmann (if you don't need the blichmann tun features).

I would go for 25g for a bk, 25 is insane for an HLT, but I want it to match my BK now, so I would give a good price on my electric 15g HLT

i might be interested, especially since I am going electric. I am in AZ for two more weeks but when I get back, depending on how much i have to put into my brew kettle I may be interested in this too.

i might be interested, especially since I am going electric. I am in AZ for two more weeks but when I get back, depending on how much i have to put into my brew kettle I may be interested in this too.

let me know and I can get you some more details and pics as needed. it has a 3piece stainless ball valve installed too with reflectix wrap and a nice long cord (15 feet or so I think). The megapots are rock solid kettles, thick stainless.

Hey I was wondering if we could get the 50# bags of dme from the group buy. I don't see why we couldn't but I just wanted to make sure.

Cidah, I'm not sure if I will end up getting 5 full sacks on this order. I just bought out a ton of 2 row from a local brewer getting out of the hobby. If not could I possibly throw it on your order and pick it up at your place? I probably won't be getting any splits because it would be really hard to coordinate that with however many people and I have to drive 2+ hours. I picked my stuff up from twogunz parents place this morning btw. Could you also shoot me a pm with a price for the electric hlt? I planned on doing an electric build next winter so this would be a good start!

mparsons, I am sure we can work something ou regarding the grain. I know I just gave a round house kick to my rye! Need to get more of that as I just bagged up a roggen bier and another wry IPA batch and only have 6lbs of rye left!! So I at least need some ryein the next order.

I sent you and nvr2low a PM about what is in the pot, and what I am looking for. Let me know if you have any questions. The pot is tried and true so I know whoever ends up with it will be happy for a very long time. Right now all you would need to use it is the corresponding dryer outlet (it would run at 100%). But you could at least use it to heat strike water, etc until you built your control panels.

Hey I was wondering if we could get the 50# bags of dme from the group buy. I don't see why we couldn't but I just wanted to make sure.

I think you can get the 50# sacks of DME. But no other briess products.

I think you can get the 50# sacks of DME. But no other briess products.

Right: I know the group buy in Pittsburgh was going to order this...
It's actually NOT a bad a idea (except for the splitting it up part :) ), in that it's useful to have some around for:
- Starters
- When you partially FUBAR your batch and you are low on your pre-boil (or post boil for that matter) gravity level.

Yeah I had thought about using DME for that stuff in the past too. But I do [retty well with extra wort from a brew. DME is of course way more convenient to use.

ePOT for sale:
In case anyone was lurking and looking to buy a premade electrical pot, I posted this up in the classifieds.

do you know where I would put it on the spreadsheet

Jeff should be able to set you up with that.

Drocu, you can go pretty basic and use it as an hlt and BK, I did that for a while, then I added on. Trying to encourage you :D

jeffb418 said:
Add it to an open row at the bottom of the full sacks. What type do you want?

I'm thinking the golden light. I have a buddy that brews a lot of extract . He might even want to get 2 sacks.

FYI, I am looking to buy a full bag of rye but would be willing to split it in some way with someone. I was thinking for ease maybe go .5 of a bag each but am flexible. I would like .5 a bag.

If interested let me know. I will add it once I find my password for the sheet!

Damn you guys, thinking about jumping into E-brewing. I plan on keeping propane for my main kettle but maybe going to an electric element for my HLT/HERMS system. Evil guys!

Thinking about using one of these to run from the basement to the garage. http://www.backupgenerators.com/Reliance-Generator-Power-Cord-40ft-30A-120-240V.html?feed=Froogle

I have an unused outlet from a dryer port and I think I can make it out there with 40 ft of cord. It would be too much of a PITA to run a circuit out to the garage.

Damn you guys, thinking about jumping into E-brewing. I plan on keeping propane for my main kettle but maybe going to an electric element for my HLT/HERMS system. Evil guys!

Thinking about using one of these to run from the basement to the garage. http://www.backupgenerators.com/Reliance-Generator-Power-Cord-40ft-30A-120-240V.html?feed=Froogle

I have an unused outlet from a dryer port and I think I can make it out there with 40 ft of cord. It would be too much of a PITA to run a circuit out to the garage.

Is your dryer outlet 4 prong? (the cord appears to be.) Is the cable really 10AWG?

Is your dryer outlet 4 prong? (the cord appears to be.) Is the cable really 10AWG?

If you do a control panel type set up, many of them are designed to use 4 prong (needs to be 10g wire). You need to have 4 wire so you can run 120 for certain hardware like the PIDs while going 240 for the elements.

For the kettles they are 3 wire. i.e. you can use any 30amp rated dryer outlet (any prong configuration). That was why I was saying that if someone wanted to buy that electric kettle I am selling they could simply plug in direct with no controls and get 100% of the element running.

Most people do want some control over the elements power so they build a control panel eventually (even if very rudimentary). However to you can still wire up a pot and plug it in direct for 100% load (just make sure you use the correct GFI circuit for safety.)

I have an HLT for that might be jut perfect (just sayin' haha)

You could use that but if you have a 3 prong outlet you likely will have to replace the wire running to that outlet, or run a another wire out. Best practices say to replace the wire with 10/4 romex.

It might not be all that bad. I will bet you it is much cheaper to run 10/4 romex than that cord too.

You know I gotta say it. eBrewing is great. Once you try it, you won't go back.

I have an HLT for that might be jut perfect (just sayin' haha)

You could use that but if you have a 3 prong outlet you likely will have to replace the wire running to that outlet, or run a another wire out. Best practices say to replace the wire with 10/4 romex.

It might not be all that bad. I will bet you it is much cheaper to run 10/4 romex than that cord too.

You know I gotta say it. eBrewing is great. Once you try it, you won't go back.

I'll have to check if there are 3 or 4 conductors run to that outlet or not. If not, I'll just make a 3 conductor cord myself and use wall power for any 120V power.

Hey all -
I was looking at this thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-some-cool-cheap-diy-plastic-fermenters-310577/ where in this post - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-some-cool-cheap-diy-plastic-fermenters-310577/index2.html#post3864453 the person mentions these 11.3 gallon containers: http://www.ultimatepail.com/Catalog/Life-Latch--Original/11-3-Gallon-Life-Latch--Container.aspx. Anyway, crusing around on the M&M website, I see that this company in Syracuse is one of their distributers: http://www.bronsteincontainer.com/.

Perhaps a good source of grain containers, especially if we do a group buy? :)

Hey all -
I was looking at this thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-some-cool-cheap-diy-plastic-fermenters-310577/ where in this post - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-some-cool-cheap-diy-plastic-fermenters-310577/index2.html#post3864453 the person mentions these 11.3 gallon containers: http://www.ultimatepail.com/Catalog/Life-Latch--Original/11-3-Gallon-Life-Latch--Container.aspx. Anyway, crusing around on the M&M website, I see that this company in Syracuse is one of their distributers: http://www.bronsteincontainer.com/.

Perhaps a good source of grain containers, especially if we do a group buy? :)

That is the place where I get my 15G, 30G 55G food grade poly containers. Right down the street so to speak :)

Just finished wiring up the garage for 240V/30A.

Picked up 40 ft of 10/3, 10 ft of 10/4, and a spa panel (for GFCI). Got it all run out to the garage. Wired everything up and plugged in the cord into my unused dryer outlet.... and then went out to test the GFCI. Pushed the test button...and nothing. Got my multimeter out and measured the GFI breaker... nothing. Measured out the outlet... nothing. Went to my breaker panel and the 30A breaker marked DRYER was on. Flipped a few times, re-tested everything and still nothing. Then I flipped the 50A breaker marked RANGE (which I dont use either and was off), then tested my lines and they are hot! So looks like someone didnt wire my panel up right. So looks like I'm going in there tomorrow and swapping breakers. The wire to the dryer outlet is clearly 10/3, so I know someone did something wrong.

Just finished wiring up the garage for 240V/30A.

Picked up 40 ft of 10/3, 10 ft of 10/4, and a spa panel (for GFCI). Got it all run out to the garage. Wired everything up and plugged in the cord into my unused dryer outlet.... and then went out to test the GFCI. Pushed the test button...and nothing. Got my multimeter out and measured the GFI breaker... nothing. Measured out the outlet... nothing. Went to my breaker panel and the 30A breaker marked DRYER was on. Flipped a few times, re-tested everything and still nothing. Then I flipped the 50A breaker marked RANGE (which I dont use either and was off), then tested my lines and they are hot! So looks like someone didnt wire my panel up right. So looks like I'm going in there tomorrow and swapping breakers. The wire to the dryer outlet is clearly 10/3, so I know someone did something wrong.

Wait so you mean your load center has a 50amp breaker in it, that is actually tied into your dryer outlet instead of being the correct 30 amp breaker as noted on your load center breaker box?

Yep! Idiots!

Haha - it is crazy how many people mess with electric but aren't methodical. A really bad combination!

Be sure to downsize your breaker to 2 pole 30 amp instead of that 50 amp at your panel since that cord is 10G. The 2 pole 30 amp breaker will likely cost you under $15. Glad the rest went well though! You can only speak for your mistakes right :D

Jeff, One quick question. When can I come over? Is that your gameroom in the profile pic? haha

That game room + beer is just unfair to the rest of us.... I freakin' love me some pinball

Haha, I'll have to throw a summer party for ya guys! Maybe we plan it around the next buy pickup, do pickup in the morning at TwoGunz and then that afternoon have everyone come over for beers, BBQ, and pinball!

Here is a recent picture of my gameroom: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...2573386237_21600820_31983070_1649906453_n.jpg

Currently have 14 pins, 1 pool table, 1 shuffle bowler, and 1 MAME machine in the basement. Then have a project pin upstairs and another one stored at my parents house too.

Haha, I'll have to throw a summer party for ya guys! Maybe we plan it around the next buy pickup, do pickup in the morning at TwoGunz and then that afternoon have everyone come over for beers, BBQ, and pinball!

Here is a recent picture of my gameroom: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...2573386237_21600820_31983070_1649906453_n.jpg

Currently have 14 pins, 1 pool table, 1 shuffle bowler, and 1 MAME machine in the basement. Then have a project pin upstairs and another one stored at my parents house too.

wow.

I've owned over 20 pins since being in the hobby. I do complete restorations of the machines (playfield clear coating, cabinet work, board rework, everything). Been collecting now for 4 years but have always had pins around when growing up since my dad had a few.

If you guys ever come across one or know anyone who is selling a pin, let me know. Always looking for new projects.

Latest posts

Back