Weird / Unexpected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexun

Reaction score
Well, I had this 5 gallon batch of a Belgian White conditioning in a corny for about a week. When I filled it, I put about 30 psi of CO2 on top to get a good seal; disconnected the CO2 and leak tested with star san.

Anyway, it's been sitting there are 70 degrees for a week... I thought I'd pull a sample to see how it tasted. Well, it tasted good but it also seemed to be fully carbed. I didn't expect any carbonation since the small amount of CO2 I put in the small headspace didn't have a makeup source.

Just weird to me... your thoughts?

PS: I put it in the refrigerator and put 10 psi on it. When it gets cold, we'll see how it turns out. I know it needs more time but hey, I'm out of homebrew!

All I can think of is that it wasn't fully attenuated when you racked to the keg, so it carbonated itself while finishing up in there. The 30 PSI headspace is definitely not enough to make any noticeable carbonation contribution.

Thanks. That's what I'm guessing also. I'm pushing this batch through the system way too fast... like I said, I've got 15 gallons but I'm out.

I was just getting ready to ask this same question.. I brewed and let it sit in primary for about 8 days.. then racked to a keg and hit it with 30 psi, burped it a couple times... let it sit in the closet for a week.

I moved it over to the fridge and pulled a pint.. tons of head and seemed way carbed.

I wanted a quick beer on tap as well.. this was my first kegged beer.

I have since kegged another batch that I just set at 10 psi and it seems fine. It also sat in the primary longer.

looks like I had the same thing happen.

oh edit.. I took it off the Co2 for a few days and burped it a couple times a day.. still seems way carbed. Any suggestions? Just keep it off the gas and keep burping it?

Update...

Last night that keg was finally cold. I pulled a pint and it was flat. I think my initial assessment (with the warm sample) wasn't representative.

Therefore, I jacked the pressure up to 30 psi... shook that sucker good a couple of times... bled it down, tested.... not quite there but better... did it again a couple of times... bled it down and tested... perfecto! I'd read about that technique somewhere on here... and it WORKED! Thanks!

Also, I finally got to try out my little "in line" mixer gizmos that fit into the dip tube. Since I have nothing to compare it too, this may not be accurate but, I got wonderful pours with a 5' liquid line. :)

oh edit.. I took it off the Co2 for a few days and burped it a couple times a day.. still seems way carbed. Any suggestions? Just keep it off the gas and keep burping it?

That's what I'd do. If you want it to happen faster, I'll bet allowing the keg to warm a bit would help also... as the CO2 is less soluable in the beer at warmer temps.

Back