Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers.

I just watched the false bottom video. It looks like what I'll want to do is order the heavy duty stand at the same time I order the false since I'm slowly building my system up to a HERMS and keep the Level 3 stand in the BK.

So are you saying that I would want to put a hose clamp on the dip tube to keep the Level 3 stand from floating during the boil? Or is there a better way to secure it to the dip tube?

Cheers.

I just watched the false bottom video. It looks like what I'll want to do is order the heavy duty stand at the same time I order the false since I'm slowly building my system up to a HERMS and keep the Level 3 stand in the BK.

So are you saying that I would want to put a hose clamp on the dip tube to keep the Level 3 stand from floating during the boil? Or is there a better way to secure it to the dip tube?

You will want the level 1 when you order the False Bottom not the heavy duty stand. That one was developed for guys that were having issues with "Brand X" false bottoms and guys that bought our system before we turned the false bottoms over and put the hinges on top. The level 1 will give you a bunch more filtration as well as the strength needed for the long recirculation and the grain load.

Yes if you are using "JUST" the level 3 a hose clamp on the dip tube will help keep it in place for you.

Cheers
Jay

The dreaded Brand X. Haha

Thanks.

All my brewing related orders are on hold right now. I'm interviewing for a job in Olympia on Monday. If I get it, brewing is on hold until after I sort out the move. If I don't get it, I'll place my order towards the end of October or early November.

Well I used my FB for the first time this weekend. I loved the flow of it, no more worries about a suck sparge. My only issue was since this sits further off the bottom that my manifold I think I am going to have to up my water to grist ratio. I don't think enough water came in contact with the grain. I don't think this will be much of a problem with a larger grainbill. Anyone else have this problem?

Well I used my FB for the first time this weekend. I loved the flow of it, no more worries about a suck sparge. My only issue was since this sits further off the bottom that my manifold I think I am going to have to up my water to grist ratio. I don't think enough water came in contact with the grain. I don't think this will be much of a problem with a larger grainbill. Anyone else have this problem?

Even with small grain bills you can do a quick circulation about 1/2 way through the mash and you will be good. Or just up your water volume a tad. You will find it to not be a problem just a part of the process.

Cheers
Jay

I have a Megapot 1.2 10 Gallon

Do you have a standard false bottom that fits these pots

(The one with 3 legs and a 1000 holes that I got from NB gave into weight and suction on my last brew so I am looking for a stronger one)

You are Johny on the spot SnowRaven!.... Yep we have those in stock and ready to ship. Choose a handle or no handle.
I would LOVE to see picts of your NB False Bottom destruction...:D

Cheers
Jay

Maybe a dumb question and i may have already asked it and forgot, but when i was ordering mine i couldnt help but wonder.

Why would you ever NOT want a handle? With how these fit so snug i dont see why anyone would not want one, otherwise it becomes a giant PITA to get out?

Maybe a dumb question and i may have already asked it and forgot, but when i was ordering mine i couldnt help but wonder.

Why would you ever NOT want a handle? With how these fit so snug i dont see why anyone would not want one, otherwise it becomes a giant PITA to get out?

Not 100% sure about everyone to be honest. But I have had people absolutely not want a handle on their boil kettle system because they are using a whirlpool paddle like http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Beer_Brewing_Paddle_Whirlpool_Aeration.html in the boil kettle and not want the blades to hit the handle.
I have had people not want a handle MLT because they didn't want to hit it with mash paddle etc.
So because we like to give you all the option to totally customize your builds and that's just 1 more option for you.

Cheers
Jay

I'm thinking of picking up the megapot version. I do BIAB and am just starting with a constantly recirculating mash. Will this be strong enough to withstand the pressures of the recirculation through the grain bed without deforming?

Yes they are nice, I'm doing rimms with mine. just wish it was a bit tighter fit in the megapot much better than the ones with handles welded to the bottom as stands

I opted for no handle because I didn't want to hit it with the mash paddle. If I decide that I want a handle in the future, there are about a million holes in the false bottom to bolt one to with a little 6-32 or 8-32 machine screw. To get the FB out, I just turn the MT almost completely over and smack the bottom or use a piece of wire with a hook bent on the end.

Yes they are nice, I'm doing rimms with mine. just wish it was a bit tighter fit in the megapot much better than the ones with handles welded to the bottom as stands

Honestly I do too. Unfortunately the Mega Pot has a wider range of variable in their builds (we are seeing) and we need to build to the smallest size they can be, so they all fit. With the stand being of the same material AND sitting flat on the bottom you shouldn't see any major issues with the disc itself being a tad smaller.

You always have the option of doing a "custom" build and we will cut it to whatever size you want. Simply specify what that is and we will try and hit it dead on for you guys.

Cheers
Jay

I'd like to say that I love the false bottom i got from you guys for my Concord 20 Gal pots...works great.

Its probably my 2nd favorite thing i bought for my EHERMS setup, but i mean those Stainless HERMS coils from SSBrewing are just so damn sexy ;)

I'd like to say that I love the false bottom i got from you guys for my Concord 20 Gal pots...works great.

Its probably my 2nd favorite thing i bought for my EHERMS setup, but i mean those Stainless HERMS coils from SSBrewing are just so damn sexy ;)

DAMN IT! Got beat out by a stainless coil! Baahhhaaaa.....

Glad ya love it!

Cheers
Jay

Jay,

Sorry man, but ordered two FB and level 3 stands last week. Still haven't shipped. I reached out to your folks at the shop and they said that you guys didn't have any in stock... wish I would have known that before placing my order and selling my other FB...

Can you give an update on when you guys expect to have them in Stock again, so I can get mine shipped?

Jay,

Sorry man, but ordered two FB and level 3 stands last week. Still haven't shipped. I reached out to your folks at the shop and they said that you guys didn't have any in stock... wish I would have known that before placing my order and selling my other FB...

Can you give an update on when you guys expect to have them in Stock again, so I can get mine shipped?

We did have a HUGE influx of orders with 15" false bottoms and we unfortunately did run out. We have them in stock as of yesterday and yours will ship tomorrow. I will add Priority shipping to your order man and I am very sorry. We normally have 25-30 in stock and for some reason we sold a boatload of those last week. I was going to custom cut your order myself but our shipment of stainless was due to arrive on Tuesday so I opted to wait and get you the laser stuff we normally sell.

I apologize. My team didn't tell me you reached out. I would have made sure your order shipped at all cost had I known.

I will send you tracking tomorrow when your order ships. Again man I am very sorry.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for checking up in it for me, and thanks for going the extra mile.

All good, you guys were running a SICK sale on them. No surprise that got gobbled up (see what I did there)...

Looking forward to them for my bottom drain e-herms.

Jay, you're killing me! I just opened up my email and saw the Cyber Monday Deal. Must resist...must resist... Ah, eff it, I could use a few more things!

Man, missed the sale Jay. Was waiting for a response to a question on plumbing on another thread and waited too long. Better luck next time.

I'm looking into building a keggle rig. One concern is the hops and trub buildup in the BK. With a 15" false bottom and level three stand, is there any issue with whirlpooling. At minimum, I'll have to whirlpool for a few minutes to sanitize my pump and tubing before sending through a chiller to the fermenter.

Can a level 3 stand keep the gunk out even with a whirlpool?

I'm looking into building a keggle rig. One concern is the hops and trub buildup in the BK. With a 15" false bottom and level three stand, is there any issue with whirlpooling. At minimum, I'll have to whirlpool for a few minutes to sanitize my pump and tubing before sending through a chiller to the fermenter.

Can a level 3 stand keep the gunk out even with a whirlpool?

It's what I use and do just exactly that. Not trying to "WHIRLPOOL" but recirculate to heat sanitize all components and then kettle chill through my plate chiller.
Cheers
Jay

Back