Victory Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
I made a mistake when coping down a recipe. I copied Victory Malt instead of Vienna. So, does anyone have a good recipe using Victory malt. I have four lbs. I don't expect to use it in one batch but I am looking for some suggestions. Beersmith says it is used in nut brown ales and porters. I have two batches of porter fermenting so I really don't need anymore right now and have never tasted a nut brown ale.
So, what's your favorite?

I made a mistake when coping down a recipe. I copied Victory Malt instead of Vienna. So, does anyone have a good recipe using Victory malt. I have four lbs. I don't expect to use it in one batch but I am looking for some suggestions. Beersmith says it is used in nut brown ales and porters. I have two batches of porter fermenting so I really don't need anymore right now and have never tasted a nut brown ale.
So, what's your favorite?

Hmmm. I'm trying to think of all the ways I've used victory malt in the past. Are you AG or extract?

My next batch will be my 4th AG brew. Five extract and three AG sofar.

My next batch will be my 4th AG brew. Five extract and three AG sofar.

I just did a quick look, and I use victory malt in the Fat Tire clone, the California common, English IPA, ESB and an amber ale. It's a toasty flavor, sort of like biscust malt or toasted malt.

Let me know if you need any recipes for those.

My best IPA to date had 1.5lbs of it in a 5-gallon batch. All-grain.

It's good stuff to balance hops, or to add a toasty flavor to stouts/porters...

mmmm... Toasty!

Mmmmm Victory! Close tie w/ honey malt as the best specialty grain out there IMHO. I think you can add a 1/2 # to just about everything north of a Pilsner and be ok.
Just my.02

Just remember, Victory is the closest commercial grain to lightly home-toasted malt (325 for 20 minutes). Any beer that you'd use toasted in would be great with Victory. I recently made an IPA with 10 lbs 2 row, 1 lb Victory, and 1 lb 15L crystal and it is fantastic -- the malts are an awesome balance to the hops.

Back