Question about dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
My first brew is still in the primary fermentor. In the meantime I was reading the ebook at howtobrew.com.

I found the part about how to drink your homebrew very informative. Had I not read about dregs, I would have dumped my first bottle into a glass and chugged away. Whew!

Is there any way of keeping this yeast sediment to a minimum, or eliminate it completely? Or is this just one of those things that goes along with homebrew?

Thanks

You can avoid the sediment, but it adds considerable complexity to the process. (Unless there's a method I'm not thinking of, I am a n00b.) The problem is that you need the yeast in the bottle to carbonate, unless you use a different method. You could filter the beer, force-carb it, and use a counter-pressure bottle filler. That's what the commercial breweries do.

You can eliminate a lot of yeast sediment by racking to a secondary for two weeks or so, then bottling. You'll still get sediment, but not nearly as much. The yeast isn't that bad actually, it's good for you! has lots of vitamins and puts hair on your chest.

It is a good idea to try to keep the majority of yeast out of the bottles. There will always be some, as others have stated, and it is best to make sure it stays on the bottom of the bottle through careful pouring. That having been said, consuming yeast will not hurt you, but you will quickly discover the laxative effects of yeast!

When your brew has been in the secondary for a few weeks and you know it's ready to bottle you can place it in the fridge for a few days.

The cold will cause more yeast/proteins to fall out.

When you rack to the bottling bucket don't get greedy and try to get every drop. The clearer you syphon your brew the clearer it will be in the bottle and less yeast on the bottom.

When pouring do a "one pour". Tilt your glass almost level with the floor, pour the beer very slowly down the inside. As the beer level raises to the rim of the glass start tilting your glass upright (keeping the beer/fluid level near the rim). Do not bring your bottle upright until it's nearly empty.:D

Thanks for all of the replies, fellas.

One more question out of curiousity. How is this yeast dealt with from a keg? Since the keg is refrigerated does it stay settled at the bottom? Or does the co2 churn a little into each glass?

Thanks again.

Basically when you keg and force cab you get no yeast sediment. If tehre is any in there it settles out during refridgeration and comes out in the first pour.

You want dreg free beer, buy a corny keg. You'll bever go back. :)

fezzman said:
Thanks for all of the replies, fellas.

One more question out of curiousity. How is this yeast dealt with from a keg? Since the keg is refrigerated does it stay settled at the bottom? Or does the co2 churn a little into each glass?

Thanks again.

I typically sacrifice the first pint to the Yeast Gods and it is clear from then on.

Once you keg you will neve go back,

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound said:
I typically sacrifice the first pint to the Yeast Gods and it is clear from then on.

Once you keg you will neve go back,

Cheers,

knewshound

Yup, kegging is definitely in my future. It may just be awhile. I'm working on enclosing my back porch. After that comes the bar. Then it would only make sense to have a tap or two. :D

Latest posts

Back