New False Bottoms In! New Items in Bargain Cave!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have finished testing false bottoms for our kettles and will now supply the one that we found worked best. The false bottom can be purchased from here:

www.spikebrewing.com/false-bottom

The false bottom will also include the Silicone hose and barb fitting needed to hook it up directly to our kettles. :ban:

We also have added a few items to the bargain cave. A couple kettles had couplers welded on a little crooked and one was dented during shipping. They are listed for a greatly reduced rate. You can check it out here:

www.spikebrewing.com/bargain-cave

:mug:

Any idea of how efficient one of those FB's are compared to a full style one? I have 20 gallon pots for the new system I am building and would much rather spend 50 vs. arm+leg for a nice hinged one as my build is slowly escalating into pissed off wife territory.

I'd also be interested in these false bottoms. Any issues with grain getting underneath them? Any issues with full drainage, since they don't cover the entire bottom?

Also looking into the false bottoms.. I currently have a 10 Gallon IGLOO setup and was wondering if this would fit or if there were any alternatives that you sell for it.

Also wondering if you ever make it up to Fond du Lac ever?

Any idea of how efficient one of those FB's are compared to a full style one? I have 20 gallon pots for the new system I am building and would much rather spend 50 vs. arm+leg for a nice hinged one as my build is slowly escalating into pissed off wife territory.

I'm assuming you mean efficiency with regards to how much liquid is left in the kettle? Testing with our standard 15gal kettle resulted in about 1/4 gallon left over. The most we ever had left over was a 1/2 gallon.

I'd also be interested in these false bottoms. Any issues with grain getting underneath them? Any issues with full drainage, since they don't cover the entire bottom?

See above answer for drainage. In all our testing we had no issues with grain getting under the false bottom. Our 'brew master', who does all our testing, used rye in a few of the tests because it is notorious for clogging FB's. The false bottom performed perfectly.

Also looking into the false bottoms.. I currently have a 10 Gallon IGLOO setup and was wondering if this would fit or if there were any alternatives that you sell for it.

Also wondering if you ever make it up to Fond du Lac ever?

I think I've seen this FB being used with an Igloo cooler but don't quote me on that. Only time in Fond du Lac is if I'm passing by on the highway.

-Ben

I think I've seen this FB being used with an Igloo cooler but don't quote me on that. Only time in Fond du Lac is if I'm passing by on the highway.

-Ben

I just looked up the inside bottom diameter of the 10 gallon Igloo cooler that I use and it says that it is 12.5" in diameter.

In theory, this SHOULD work out just fine... I think?!!?:drunk:

I'm going to buy one, so if you can wait a couple weeks, I can let you know how it works. Although, i'll be using it in one of their kettles.

Hey, I was wondering if you know if a WortHog or Bazooka screen (warthog is what my LHBS sells, bazooka seems to be a more common brand on these boards) can be attached to the ball valve you sell? Is the inside of it threaded? And if so, what diameter is it? Any info will help. I just left a message on your # from your website, area code 720, and if you reply here, don't feel obligated to call. Thanks in advance.

Hey, I was wondering if you know if a WortHog or Bazooka screen (warthog is what my LHBS sells, bazooka seems to be a more common brand on these boards) can be attached to the ball valve you sell? Is the inside of it threaded? And if so, what diameter is it? Any info will help. I just left a message on your # from your website, area code 720, and if you reply here, don't feel obligated to call. Thanks in advance.

Just saw the VM... Both the WortHog and Bazooka screen will work with out kettles. Our couplers are full length, meaning they can have a ball valve attached to the front and a screen or false bottom screwed into the back. The couplers are all 1/2" NPT.

-Ben

Ben,

Would you see any benefit with using a false bottom while doing a BIAB batch? Not too familiar with false bottoms in general. Obviously I'd still use the bag, but would the false bottom add anything such as collecting hop material/etc during the boil before transferring to my fermenter? Or are false bottoms strictly used for mash-tuns and then removed for boiling?

Thanks

I brew in bag and what I've learned is the bag can screw up a bazooka screen. Sometimes the bag catches on the metal. Sometimes the weight crushes the screen. These issues have got me looking for a false bottom that go over a bazooka screen so I can protect that part of my gear.

Just something to consider.

Very interested in one of the 12 Gallon kettles. Beside being a little askew, is there anything structurally to worry about with the welds on these kettles?

Very interested in one of the 12 Gallon kettles. Beside being a little askew, is there anything structurally to worry about with the welds on these kettles?

The welds on that kettle are perfect other than them not being straight! It's been over 100 degrees here so I'll let our welder use that as his excuse.

-Ben

Back