Mini breakers in control panel or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourem

Reaction score
Hello,
First time posting here. I am in the process of building a BCS-460 based E-HERMS. I need a second opinion on whether to install DIN rail mini breakers in my control panel vs. not?

My entire system is supplied and protected through a 50A GFCI breaker. I am going to be using 2 - 4500W LWD elements w/ manual switches for each. I am following the route that Kal has taken, using a 30A contactor w/ switch to allow power into the control panel where the entire panel is protected by the GFCI breaker. I have also seen the route of using a disconnect and mini breakers directly inside the panel to allow power to flow into it. I know you can never be too safe but wondering if it is absolutely necessary to install mini breakers in a system like the one I am building?

Cheers and thanks for any advice!

you need breakers or fuses to protect your equipment.

If you have 50A coming into your system, but have contactors that are rated for 30A, you should have a fuse or breaker between the incoming source and the contactor.

Plus, this will allow you to use smaller gauge wiring after the breaker.

I have 50A coming into my box and it immediately goes through some 25A breakers and drops down in wiring size for my 240V path. I also take one of the incoming hot lines and run it through a 15A breaker for my 120V items.

I used panel-mount breakers in my system because they were so much cheaper. Lots of folks do use DIN rail mounted ones, though. I've not looked at them to form opinions other than that they are more expensive that panel-mounts. :D

OP - In my opinion, you should definitely use over-current protection. You can use breakers, or fuses your choice.

I used DIN mount components because they were super easy to move around during initial layout and I didn't want to drill tons of holes. In reality, once you start wiring, you won't be moving the din components around any longer. So other than fewer holes to drill in the subpanel, I'm not sure there is a huge advantage.

Does a 'panel mount' breaker just get screwed into the back of the control box or do you have to get some other type of mounting system for them? Can you just go to HD or Lowes and buy the kind that you would put in your house box?

Thanks, as you can tell I havn't had much experience with this part.

Does a 'panel mount' breaker just get screwed into the back of the control box or do you have to get some other type of mounting system for them? Can you just go to HD or Lowes and buy the kind that you would put in your house box?

Thanks, as you can tell I havn't had much experience with this part.

The ones at HD or Lowes are not that easy to use. They are meant to be snapped onto power rails inside of a proper breaker box.

the panel mount breakers I use just need a hole drilled in the box. The "reset" button is then available outside of the box for you to press if the thing trips.

Hello,
First time posting here. I am in the process of building a BCS-460 based E-HERMS. I need a second opinion on whether to install DIN rail mini breakers in my control panel vs. not?

My entire system is supplied and protected through a 50A GFCI breaker. I am going to be using 2 - 4500W LWD elements w/ manual switches for each. I am following the route that Kal has taken, using a 30A contactor w/ switch to allow power into the control panel where the entire panel is protected by the GFCI breaker. I have also seen the route of using a disconnect and mini breakers directly inside the panel to allow power to flow into it. I know you can never be too safe but wondering if it is absolutely necessary to install mini breakers in a system like the one I am building?

Cheers and thanks for any advice!

Oh man sorry Fourem I just realized you were not asking about specific breakers more the requirements for them in your system. Sorry to totally sidetrack your post.

Mark

The ones at HD or Lowes are not that easy to use. They are meant to be snapped onto power rails inside of a proper breaker box.

the panel mount breakers I use just need a hole drilled in the box. The "reset" button is then available outside of the box for you to press if the thing trips.

Do you have a picture of the inside/outside of your control panel with your breakers? Any suggestions on where to purchase?

I've not seen a double pole breaker like this, got a link to purchase?

Back