My HLT / Heat Exchanger HERMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In_Vino_Veritas

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of upgrading from mostly extract brewing to this point, one BIAB, to an AG HERMS setup. I really enjoy building as much as brewing, plus building works because my system desires exceed my piggy bank.

Anyways, I'm halfway done on the mash tun build and I just finished the HLT / heat exchanger today, well except for needing to add the quick release male fittings. Here's so process shots:

Coiling 50' by 3/8"
teok.jpg

All done with heat exchanger
abp5.jpg

Soldered 1/2" NPT bulkhead
u3gg.jpg

View of both blukheads
3vmd.jpg

All mocked up
injd.jpg

Last, leak tested and view of adding w/ Brewmometer
c2cb.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

***Addition, I pressed in the bulkheads using the below tutorial; worked GREAT!!!***

https://www.youtube.com/user/nostalgia75

Thanks guys! Forgot to mention in my original post (I've added), but I pressed in the bulkheads, which made a nice tight fit and shelve for the solder to seat in.

Have you pumped liquid through it yet? My Chugger just couldn't do it. Kept un-coupling.

Have you pumped liquid through it yet? My Chugger just couldn't do it. Kept un-coupling.

It does flow, but slower than I'd have thought or liked. I have the Northern Steelhead which is rated at the same 1/20 HP of the Chugger. In time I'll be adding a second pump and wonder if there's any pump that produces higher pressure.

If you've got flow, that's great... better than mine did.
I just ordered a new housing gasket and the two plastic thrust washers from Chugger Pumps... they sent them free of charge, and made a huge difference. Maybe yours just isn't as worn out as mine was.

If you've got flow, that's great... better than mine did.
I just ordered a new housing gasket and the two plastic thrust washers from Chugger Pumps... they sent them free of charge, and made a huge difference. Maybe yours just isn't as worn out as mine was.

That could be the case, my Steelhead is brand new. I think once money allows, since I want a second pump anyways, I'll go for the Nano March pump.

Back