So... This just happened...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gometz

Reaction score
I realized I really needed a 10 gal kettle for AG, so I bought the 10 gal wiht spigot from Cajun Classic on Overstock.

I finally picked it up from the apartment office this morning, having cleaned everything else in preparation for brewing today. Got it out of the box and began installing the valve when I noticed that the measurements on the side go up to 14 gallons....:confused:

Look at the box and realize they had sent me a 16 gallon kettle. Checked my order and it says 10 gallon.

I guess they upgraded me on accident? the 16 gallon is not even on Overstock. Sadly they only upgraded me without the brew kit, but oh well (original order wasn't the brew kit either).

I hope that this monster works on my little apartment electric stove though, that could be the one problem here.

I hope that this monster works on my little apartment electric stove though, that could be the one problem here.

The size of the kettle is not the issue so much as the amount of liquid being boiled. It's hard to do a full-boil of more than 5 gallons of liquid on an electric stove top (at least in my experience). I would recommend getting an outdoor burner if at all possible.

I'm not arguing with the beer gods, but my balcony is (all 50 sq ft with a half wall instead of a railing).

You should be able to straddle 2 burners with a kettle that size. My 15-16 gallon kettle sits nicely on 2 gas burners on my stove and boils pretty well.

You should be able to straddle 2 burners with a kettle that size. My 15-16 gallon kettle sits nicely on 2 gas burners on my stove and boils pretty well.

Hey I didn't even think of that. Once I get to the beta rest I will see if that works with mine.

but my balcony is (all 50 sq ft with a half wall instead of a railing).

I do all my brewing on my front porch, and it's only 50sq ft (5ishx10ish).

That said, it looks like some other people have chimed in with good ideas I hadn't considered. I'm sure you'll be just fine with your oversized pot whatever route you decide to take. Better too big than too little. Happy brewing!

It's not just the size of the balcony, it's also the half wall meaning that the heat will really get stuck in there, plus the rules about having open flames on your balcony.

Well it is boiling well using the two burner method, it will just take some time to boil of the extra volume.

Latest posts

Back