Norwegian Delicy: Spitchmur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosgate

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried this stuff before. Grew up with it as a kid, families would get together and make this and lefse in the winter. Main ingredients would be lean ground beer, all spice, onion, sale peter, and a few other secret spices. It would then be stuffed into a beef casing, air pockets punctured and then hung on closet rods in a cold room just above freezing to dry for a couple months until no longer pink. Then packaged and frozen. When you wanted some you would pull a ring out and slice the ends, run it under hot water for a few seconds to moisten the casing and then it would be stripped off.

It was pretty salty and rich but a love or hate thing depending if you got some from someone who used quality ingredients like leaner beef and put a good ratio of spice in. Went great with beer and as kids my mother would usually make dumplings or mush (esentially milk and flour with butter, sugar and cinnamon on top.)

2011-12-26_12-53-05_562.jpg

Are you not supposed to eat the casing? I did when I had something like this sausage. It was very good, I want to make some myself. I also had some made from venison. I ate it as is and there was so much flavor and smoke it was amazing.

The package just said dry sausage. It looked exactly like what you have pictured.

It's pretty tough to chew Beef natural intestinal casing though sheep and pork casing are pretty much edible, beef is much thicker. Soon as you put it in your mouth it starts to rehydrate and winds up being like meat flavored chewing gum. Not real appetizing though we wouldn't mind it to much when we were kids and we would sneak a ring out, cut it up and just peel the casing off and miss some of it.

We tried pork and artificial casings and they just don't with stand the pressure. You have to get it packed as tight as possible or you can get empty pockets of air and bacteria or mold can then grow. This is why it is also important to lance the air pockets before hanging.

I must find a recipe for this stuff. It was just so good when I had it. The casing did not seem to be chewy at all at least what I could remember. I have never tried my hand at making sausage but I would like to try. Maybe I will start with this stuff.

Back