Why can't Blichmann NG burner be used indoors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangs

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read a lot of posts, but just don't understand why a blichmann burner using natural gas isnt safe to use indoors. I've read that these types of burners weren't meant for indoors because they are too high in BTUs which use more O2 and give off more CO2. But I've found higher BTU stock pot ranges that are meant for indoor use (like this one at 90,000 BTU: http://www.katom.com/386-SPSH18NG.html). So why wouldn't the blichmann be safe to use inside - it's only 60,000 BTU when using natural gas? Is it really more of a disclaimer thing than a real risk? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

have a hood vent right above you brewing and you can do what ever you want, but brewing in doors using an NG burner with out a hood vent is asking for trouble.

just in the news was a story about some kids having a bad battery and went to a birthday party and parked in the garage with the car running to keep the battery from dying or some thing like that. well they were not in the garage, but upstairs and the carbon-dioxide made its way into the house and a couple people died.

-=Jason=-

You can use whatever burner you want indoors with proper ventilation.

100% true, but know what you are doing before you bring gas and fire inside. If you have a slow propane leak from your tanks in the garage and then go out for a smoke a few days later... nice knowing you!

It's a general disclaimer for liability reasons. Natural gas or propane makes no difference regarding CO danger. Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion which is usually caused by a lack of oxygen at the burner.

1 - Set the flame as lean as you can (open the intake vent as far as possible) be sure the flame has no yellow or orange on it

2 - get a CO monitor

3 - leave a window open

4 - enjoy

I thought NG only gave off CO2, while LP was the one that creates CO. (But I did know in large quantities even CO2 wasn't good)

It sounds like as long as I take some precatuations - CO monitor, fan exhaust, open window - that the risks should be relatively similar to normal cooking with gas inside the home.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

I think people are scared of things they don't understand... nobody worries about having all the gas burners of a stove going with the oven too...

I think people are scared of things they don't understand... nobody worries about having all the gas burners of a stove going with the oven too...

The typical household gas stove or oven uses but a fraction of the fuel that our hefty propane burners do. Oxygen depletion is what you want to avoid. So long as you have sufficient oxygen available and the burner air/fuel ratio properly adjusted, there should be no danger. OTOH, it's always a good idea to have a working CO detector in the living area no matter what. A smoke detector too, of course. Most homes are far from air tight, so there is normally plenty of oxygen available for the stove burners. The exhaust fan or hood is mostly to expel greasy smoke and steam. Obviously, when air is exhausted, fresh air will infiltrate the house to replace it, so running the exhaust when using a stove or oven is a very good thing to do all the way around.

There's also the issue of portable propane burners usually not burning as cleanly as a household stove does. The bottom of my keggle is black (even with a fairly clean-burning SQ-14), that means incomplete combustion, that means CO formation. Do what you want to do, install a CO detector, keep windows open, do all of that... ****, it ain't my house, it ain't my life. You aren't going to convince me that using a propane burner inside a house is anything but a really, REALLY bad idea.

I thought NG only gave off CO2, while LP was the one that creates CO. (But I did know in large quantities even CO2 wasn't good)

It sounds like as long as I take some precatuations - CO monitor, fan exhaust, open window - that the risks should be relatively similar to normal cooking with gas inside the home.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

There is no difference between LP or NG in regard to the CO danger. IOW, one is not more hazardous than the other in that respect. So long as sufficient fresh air is available (ie sufficient oxygen) and the burner adjusted properly, you should be fine. A CO monitor is certainly a good idea. I would not be without one when using a propane burner indoors.

Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are both byproducts of combustion. Carbon monoxide is obviously the most toxic to humans but it can be easily evacuated with ventilation. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air though so it will snuff out pilot lights and then you basically have a gas leak and an open flame waiting to ignite it.

say, have you officially tried brewing indoors with the nat gas conversion on the top tier stand? I'm looking to do the same thing and wondering what all the fuss is about too so I figure it has to be a disclaimer so you don't burn your house down, etc...
thanks, Kevin

[...]I figure it has to be a disclaimer so you don't burn your house down, etc...
thanks, Kevin

Exactly. It's the same reason every Blichmann kettle comes with a warning label not to lift the pot with liquid in it. Preemptive legalese.

fwiw, we had a long and cold enough winter here that it inspired me to put together a ventilation system that I can erect in my workshop when needed. Features a huge squirrel cage blower mounted to a panel that fits over a window with a very short run of duct to a flared section positioned above the BK on my single tier rig.

For now I open a window on the opposite wall, but I'm going to add a fresh air duct from the same panel to a spot below and behind the HLT so I don't have to have a draft running through the entire shop.

And of course I have a strategically located CO detector - and a fire extinguisher and a water hose - all present and ready on brew days.

I've done four batches so far and it has been was fantastic! The shop has a dedicated computer, hd tv with a fios box, and a sound system plumbed into both, and it was sure nice to brew there nice and warm than out in the garage or the deck in the cold...

Cheers!

Back