Free (Open Source) Artwork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etamme

Reaction score
Im a big Open Source guy and I believe in contributing to the community that helps you learn.

I'm pretty new to home brewing so I figured I'd give back in a what way I can by providing graphics that I create to the home brew community under the creative commons license.

I hope that others can share in the spirit and release some of their work for the community to use too.

I will post my art to wikimedia commons in Inkscape SVG format so that people can use it free of charge with Inkscape on Windows, Linux, or Mac. I'll provide direct links for art as I post it.

Father Winter image I made for my "winter special brown ale".

424px-Old_man_winter.svg.png

awesome. A lot of us do post images to the Gallery and those are free for the taking due to public domain.

*You need a few more posts as a member before you can post pics.*

Little help from a new friend.
424px-Old_man_winter.svg.png

awesome. A lot of us do post images to the Gallery and those are free for the taking due to public domain.
wait. what? Where does it say that posting in the Gallery suddenly makes it public domain? I know it's not a private gallery and the whole world can see it, but it is not free for the taking.

Wow, these are awesome. Really appreciate these. Keep em' comin and welcome to the board.

wait. what? Where does it say that posting in the Gallery suddenly makes it public domain? I know it's not a private gallery and the whole world can see it, but it is not free for the taking.

I consider anything I post on the interwebs, that is saveable by any Tom Dick and Harry with a computer, public domain. If you don't want people downloading it, don't post it on a non-protected site. I'm not saying it's necessarily right do take someones artwork, but you have to realize it can happen if your posting it.

Anything you post on the web becomes public domain the second it's posted. Doesn't mean it should be, but it is.:D

I sketched this up a couple of days ago... it gave me such a kick that I couldnt resist doing the SVG. I call it "bottoms up brew haus" .. maybe good for that next Oktoberfest ha ha

http://i49.tinypic.com/5uhen4.jpg

The svg is at

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bottoms_up_brew_haus.svg

The text does not render properly online (which is why i posted the jpg) because I used a special font that isnt embedded.

The font is called germania and can be downloaded free at

http://www.creamundo.com/en/g?page=2

I consider anything I post on the interwebs, that is saveable by any Tom Dick and Harry with a computer, public domain. If you don't want people downloading it, don't post it on a non-protected site. I'm not saying it's necessarily right do take someones artwork, but you have to realize it can happen if your posting it.
I understand what you're saying, but in a thread about *open source* your initial post had a different implication. I thought you were saying that by posting pics in the gallery, we are explicitly giving up all rights. I know the realities of the interwebs when it comes to posting pictures.

Thats kind of like asking how do i turn a boat into an air plane. They are in no way the same type of file. If there is an image embedded into the word doc, you may be able to copy paste it out.. but ... id suggest you find some different source images.

Thats kind of like asking how do i turn a boat into an air plane. They are in no way the same type of file. If there is an image embedded into the word doc, you may be able to copy paste it out.. but ... id suggest you find some different source images.

My logo started out in .jpg but the printed changed it to a .doc file to fit within the parameters of the labels. I can email you one if you would like to see what I am taking about.

Good stuff! I'm printing the tripel logo for my keg. I could use one of those plastic menu holders or something hmmm...

Because you're giving us free rein over your artwork, I'm going to do nasty things to that naughty elf :p

No seriously, thank you for contributing. You do very good work.

Back