Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.008 (too low!)
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Kegged and cold
Tasting Notes
A huge hit with the BMC crowd! Nice white head, clear and crisp but with flavor.
7 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 degrees for 60-75 minutes. Sparge to get boil volume. Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 62 degrees. Add yeast, and ferment at 62 for 14 days. Rack into secondary, or keg, and crash cool until clear.

This beer was not originally mine- I found it somewhere here, but can't find the thread of who posted it. Will the real recipe-czar please confess? I made a few changes, to match my supplies, but other yeast strains can be used. German Ale yeast, at a cool ale temperature, would be wonderful. This beer tastes like a more flavorfull BMC.

Beersmith file: View attachment fyb.bsm

Due to my long and low temp mash, it finished at 1.008, lower than my goal of about 1.010-1.012. I thought it might be too dry, but it actually turned out perfect!

Vienna FTW! Gawd, this must be amazingly good. I'll have to give this a try in my quest to find a perfect thirst quencher for summer. :rockin:

It was wonderful. I "lagered" it for a couple of weeks in the keg and then "jumped" it into a new keg so there wouldn't be any sediment in it when I took it out to the lake. (Black QD, beerline, black QD- pushed with co2).

It worked perfectly- crystal clear (using only whirlfloc) and no sediment to offend non-homebrew drinker's sensibilities. Everyone loved this beer. My homebrew ale loving husband, and my lager loving friends, all sucked it down with gusto. I liked it, too. It's got the basic taste of a crisp German lager, but with a bit more flavor.

This beer was not originally mine- I found it somewhere here, but can't find the thread of who posted it. Will the real recipe-czar please confess? I made a few changes, to match my supplies, but other yeast strains can be used.

I think it might be my recipe you are referring to Maltier,Hoppier, Yellow Beer!
If so, it is a fine beer, pleases even the uninitiated!
The german ale yeast is what I used, also one more hop addition at 20 mins.
Anyway, glad someone else in the world enjoyed it!

I think it might be my recipe you are referring to Maltier,Hoppier, Yellow Beer!
If so, it is a fine beer, pleases even the uninitiated!
The german ale yeast is what I used, also one more hop addition at 20 mins.
Anyway, glad someone else in the world enjoyed it!

YES! That's it! I changed it a bit (no 20 minute hops and slightly different malt bill) and used different yeast. I KNEW I wasn't crazy, and had read it on here recently!!!!!!

The beer turned out great! Thanks for posting it, and then allowing me to post it in the database. It really is a "bridge" for BMCers to try homebrew. Clean, clear, yellow, well-carbonated and crisp, it looks like a typical fizzy yellow beer. But it has some flavor! Not too hoppy, not too malty, it won't scare away commercial beer drinkers, but it will please craft drinkers as well.

Great recipe! Thanks.

I'm brewing a slightly altered version of this on Friday.

7lbs Vienna
2.5lbs Pale Malt
0.5lbs Munich

0.25oz Magnum (12.2% AA) - 60
0.75oz Tettnang (3.3%AA) - 45
0.5oz Tettnang (3.3%AA) - 0

US-05

Since my LHBS considers Vienna a specialty grain, and Pilsner almost a specialty grain, I decided to save a few bucks and go with regular pale malt. I figure the little bit of Munich will give it a nice little bit of maltiness i prefer in my fizzy yellow beers.

The malt bill for this was 50% more than on the 7.8% Amber i made a month or so ago! If this recipe goes over well, I'll need to consider buying Vienna in bulk.

Edit - Hit an OG of 1.050, FG of 1.011. Warm sample tasted quite good. Going to be kegging today (8/16)

That sounds good!

I made it again, with the same recipe, and it's a big hit with my Corona-loving best friend. It's still a bit "much" for her, but she will gladly drink it.

I'm brewing a slightly altered version of this on Friday.

7lbs Vienna
2.5lbs Pale Malt
0.5lbs Munich

0.25oz Magnum (12.2% AA) - 60
0.75oz Tettnang (3.3%AA) - 45
0.5oz Tettnang (3.3%AA) - 0

US-05

Since my LHBS considers Vienna a specialty grain, and Pilsner almost a specialty grain, I decided to save a few bucks and go with regular pale malt. I figure the little bit of Munich will give it a nice little bit of maltiness i prefer in my fizzy yellow beers.

The malt bill for this was 50% more than on the 7.8% Amber i made a month or so ago! If this recipe goes over well, I'll need to consider buying Vienna in bulk.

Edit - Hit an OG of 1.050, FG of 1.011. Warm sample tasted quite good. Going to be kegging today (8/16)

I'd like to know how this came out! I love Munich malt.

Man this is good stuff.

Tested a bottle of my batch last night. Just 2 weeks in the bottle, but carbing nicely.

I added the remaining 1/2oz of Perle with the 1/2 of tett at flame-out for a little more hop flavoring. WOW!

The first batch is still conditioning, and I'm checking my bottle supply to brew another batch before the weather gets bad. This recipe is going to be a regular brew.

i dont have to much experience with vienna yet. what do you think making this all vienna and no pilsner? or subbing the pilsner with 2row? (because i have a sack of vienna and a sack of 2row but no pils)

i dont have to much experience with vienna yet. what do you think making this all vienna and no pilsner? or subbing the pilsner with 2row? (because i have a sack of vienna and a sack of 2row but no pils)

I've made it all vienna and it's awesome. The only reason I didn't go all vienna the first time was because I had vienna that had to be used up but not quite enough for a batch so I supplemented with pils.

I made this last year but unfortunately I experienced a massive fruit fly problem brought in by strawberries and lost the whole thing. I'm going to try this again. I see that brewmasters has the recipe you can just buy. I may do that. Thanks for the recipe.

Fruit flies love beer. They got in under the lid. I had my beer in a five gal. bucket settling out but the lid wasn't tight fitting. I now keep a can of non toxic spray in the kitchen.

Made this recipe a few weeks ago for a shrimp boil we're hosting for the 4th. I went went with all Vienna malt. After a week in the keg, just pulled a sample- this is good stuff! Carbed and ready just in time for the party! My fiancee is a Bud Light Lime type of gal, and even she likes this one (a first for my homebrew). Thanks!

I ordered your recipe from Brewmasters. It should be in today. I'm using Wyeast's special Rasenmaher yeast. I'm anxious to give this another go round. Thankyou Yooper!

Brewed this grain bill with Bravo hops, to about the same specs. Delicious, malty with great balance from the hops. Finished at 1.012. My sample was room temp, and only been in the bottle a week, but it was great! Maybe not as traditional-tasting as with the original hop bill, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Brewed this grain bill with Bravo hops, to about the same specs. Delicious, malty with great balance from the hops. Finished at 1.012. My sample was room temp, and only been in the bottle a week, but it was great! Maybe not as traditional-tasting as with the original hop bill, but I'm certainly not complaining.

I've never used bravo hops. But your thread bump reminds me that I have to make this again. I'm putting this down for my very next brew!

Bought 2 of these yesterday. Will follow original recipe.
3rd all grain ever (13th total). It takes me like all day to get done.
BAIB on the stove and dunk sparge (whats that called?) in brew pot. It seems to work out pretty well. I will take measurements this time and see what my efficiency is. Never done that.

BIAB seems to work fine. What is the down side?
What's better a cooler MT or doing BAIB?
I already had some turkey fryer pots and the bag is pretty cheap. I'd probably have to invest around $100 to get a MT going. I was looking for the 10 gal rubbermaid water cooler. What's better that or the rectangle cooler?

This Fizzy Yellow seems like it will not be that light. More of a Bud than a Bud Light? Is that right?
This is twice as much grain as the Miller Lite Clone I did last weekend. It may be more than I'm looking for as I'm looking for a pretty light tasty beer. Can't wait to find out.

I brewed this on Aug 28th and cracked a bottle today after only one week in the bottle. It has a little bit of chill haze because I didn't have any Whirlflock, but it is pretty clear over-all. It is a bit undercarbed because I couldn't wait to taste it, but it is very tasty. I'm a bit of a hop head so this is not my favorite style, but now I have GOOD beer to serve to my less hop-enlightened friends.:rockin:

I believe that this may be a gate-way beer:D

photo1.jpg

Thanks for another great recipe, Yooper.

I am brewing my other batch of this today. My friend gave me what I think is around 2 OZ of fresh hops from his yard (picked Thurs). What are my options to add to this recipe?

Yooper- Have you ever used Notty with this recipe? Have an extra packet already that I was considering using with this, but a little worried it might dry it out too much. Thoughts?

Yooper- Have you ever used Notty with this recipe? Have an extra packet already that I was considering using with this, but a little worried it might dry it out too much. Thoughts?

I don't think I have- but I certainly would if I had the notty on hand and wanted to brew this. I really like the lager-like qualities nottingham brings to cool fermentations. I'd ferment it at 60-62 and I think it'd be great!

I don't think I have- but I certainly would if I had the notty on hand and wanted to brew this. I really like the lager-like qualities nottingham brings to cool fermentations. I'd ferment it at 60-62 and I think it'd be great!

Excellent! Love me some Vienna and this might be the perfect compromise beer to have on tap for the family and I. Will be taking this one on in the next few weeks and will post back with results. Thanks!

A light yellow beer with real character is just what I need to introduce someone to homemade beer. It's hard to get people to try most homebrews what with the prejudices against it, prejudices added to by some tv shows. I remember an episode of a half-hour comedy in which homebrew was reviled as being "bathtub beer". This sounds like a good recipe to aid in the fight against such notions. Thanks!:)

A light yellow beer with real character is just what I need to introduce someone to homemade beer. It's hard to get people to try most homebrews what with the prejudices against it, prejudices added to by some tv shows. I remember an episode of a half-hour comedy in which homebrew was reviled as being "bathtub beer". This sounds like a good recipe to aid in the fight against such notions. Thanks!:)

This beer is even a bit much for my dad, who said my cream ale was "almost as good as MGD", for what it's worth!

This is a really great beer for those that think that they don't like homebrew. Very tasty. If the grains I orderd show up on time I am going to brew another batch of this Friday.

I plan to keep some on hand all the time and will probably put it on one of my taps when I get my keezer finished.

This was my first all grain brew. I choose it because it seemed pretty simple to brew. It is currently in my secondary and will be transferred to keg either this weekend or sometime during the next week.

I brewed this using the BIAB method.

I can hardly wait to give it a taste test. :)

UPDATE: 1/30/2012 - here it is though the picture from my phone doesn't do it justice. Plus my SWMBO says it is the best tasting beer I have made...so far.

fizzy yellow beer 2.jpg

Thanks for the recipe Yooper and enderwig - It's meant for a superbowl party so we're trying to please as many as possible. My wife and I did a quick "quality check" when kegging tonight and it's going to be awesome.

We kept to the same recipe except that we added 1/2 pound of white wheat malt and dialed in the water for our equipment. Pretty much hit the numbers you had and it was clear coming out of the primary after 3 weeks and a few days of cold crashing. We used US-05 and went with the 62-63 degrees for fermentation. It was slow, but it did the job.

I'm looking forward to a carbonated & cold sample this weekend. Thanks again!

Thanks for the nice words!

Bob had the neighbor over the other day as he takes care of our house when we're gone. I've given him a couple of beers over the last couple of years, but he suddenly got very interesting in brewing when seeing my cool electric brewery!

I was thinking that this would be a great beer for us to brew together for his inaugural brew, as it's not intimidating for BMC folks, but still has great flavor. When I get home from Texas, this may be the beer that I do with my neighbor to introduce him to homebrewing.

my hbs doesnt carry perle. beersmith suggests northern brewer hops as a substitute. is that gonna work? thanks

Back