German Hells recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyjack

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. I'm in the army and I'm stationed in Germany. I've fallen in love with the hefeweizens here and that's currently my brew of choice. However, I would like to try to brew a Hells and I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for it? I've found this forum more trustworthy than google. :)

Super easy recipe. I would go 95% pilsener malt, 5% carafoam. One hop addition at 60min using halertau. OG of 1.055. 30 IBU.

Mash at 154

Pick your favorite lager yeast. My preference is WLP833.

Super easy recipe. I would go 95% pilsener malt, 5% carafoam. One hop addition at 60min using halertau. OG of 1.055. 30 IBU.

Mash at 154

Pick your favorite lager yeast. My preference is WLP833.

Not to quibble but those are pretty strong numbers for a Helles, more in line with a Pils. IBUs in the 20 range would be more like it, with OG around 1.045-1.048.

Helles is one of my favorites, mostly because it's hard to get a good helles in the states (at least where I live). I'm thinking if I were stationed in Germany, I'd take advantage of the helles' that I have around me. But, not going to discourage....
BigEd is right IMO, just a little high on those numbers earlier. I don't use any cara malts in my helles either. For a 6 gallon batch at roughly 75% eff, I've done this twice in a row now and it comes out nice:
10 lbs pilsner malt
6 oz munich malt 10L (not sure how much this adds if any, but I like Munich malt)

I've been using Weyermann malts, shouldn't be hard for you to get.

1 oz hallertau at 60
1 oz hallertau at 30 for about 20 IBU
Short protein rest (10-15 minutes) at 130
60 minute sacc rest at 149 (you want this to attenuate well)
OG is about 1.049, FG is about 1.010
WLP 833 (Ayinger's yeast)

I have to use a little acidulated malt and a little calcium chloride in my mash to get my water right, which I think a helles requires proper water.

Not to quibble but those are pretty strong numbers for a Helles, more in line with a Pils. IBUs in the 20 range would be more like it, with OG around 1.045-1.048.

You're right. Those numbers were from the Dortmunder I made recently. Somehow that and my helles got mixed up in my head.

Same percentages just make it 1.045 and 20 IBU.

I like a touch of carafoam. It helps with head retention but doesn't mess with the color.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try this recipe soon. I'm gunna try the weyermann malt, since there is a weyermann brewery here in bamberg :). Also home of the schlenkerla rauchbier!

Helles is one of my favorites, mostly because it's hard to get a good helles in the states (at least where I live). I'm thinking if I were stationed in Germany, I'd take advantage of the helles' that I have around me. But, not going to discourage....
BigEd is right IMO, just a little high on those numbers earlier. I don't use any cara malts in my helles either. For a 6 gallon batch at roughly 75% eff, I've done this twice in a row now and it comes out nice:
10 lbs pilsner malt
6 oz munich malt 10L (not sure how much this adds if any, but I like Munich malt)

I've been using Weyermann malts, shouldn't be hard for you to get.

1 oz hallertau at 60
1 oz hallertau at 30 for about 20 IBU
Short protein rest (10-15 minutes) at 130
60 minute sacc rest at 149 (you want this to attenuate well)
OG is about 1.049, FG is about 1.010
WLP 833 (Ayinger's yeast)

I have to use a little acidulated malt and a little calcium chloride in my mash to get my water right, which I think a helles requires proper water.
Most beer specialty stores have Weihenstephaner Original, at least around here. I suppose that might not be true everywhere, but Weihenstephaner is a pretty popular brand.

Most beer specialty stores have Weihenstephaner Original, at least around here. I suppose that might not be true everywhere, but Weihenstephaner is a pretty popular brand.

Yes, that's one of my favorites (1000 year old brewery HAS to be doing something right). I can just about always find their hefe, the original is tough for some reason.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try this recipe soon. I'm gunna try the weyermann malt, since there is a weyermann brewery here in bamberg :). Also home of the schlenkerla rauchbier!

I was stationed in Bamberg. Great town. Would love to try schlenkerla's oak smoke fresh out of their wooden barrel.

Back