Saflager s-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpk2jpk2

Reaction score
I am brewing a California common, which calls for a lager yeast fermented at ale temps. I went with saflager s-23 and I'm wondering what to expect.... After reading more about the yeast I think that I might get a lot more fruity esters than I would like. Anyone have any experience with this yeast??

Typically for a California common, you'd want to go with a hybrid yeast rather than a straight up lager yeast - something like Wyeast 2112

I've used S-23 before in a straight lager, and it worked very well in that application. Not entirely sure how it would work out in a California common - but I'd definitely keep it as close to the low end of ale temps as you possibly can - low 60's at the most.

If you can keep the s-23 at 60 or so, it will work good for you. I actually really like that yeast to use in a pinch for a lager, but it gets a bad rep. I think it throws of my fruit flavors the lower you go. Weird, but that's my experience with it.

I've done virtually the exact same Boh pils recipe with S-23 in the high 50s and the high 40s and loved them both.

The version done in the high 50s recently won a silver medal, but one of the judge's observations (as opposed to a criticism per se) was that he detected some fruitiness. The version done in the high 40s is in a competition this weekend so I'll provide an update as to whether there is a similar comment.

I've done virtually the exact same Boh pils recipe with S-23 in the high 50s and the high 40s and loved them both.

The version done in the high 50s recently won a silver medal, but one of the judge's observations (as opposed to a criticism per se) was that he detected some fruitiness. The version done in the high 40s is in a competition this weekend so I'll provide an update as to whether there is a similar comment.
Did you increase the dosage for the 40 degree ferment?

Did you increase the dosage for the 40 degree ferment?

To be clear, fermentation would have been high 40's, not 40 degrees. I think I still just pitched 2 packages rehydrated, although it probably would have been better to pitch 3.

The version fermented cool won a couple of golds for me; the most recent a few weeks ago. I think I am now completely out of that beer--the next one I do will probably be with Wyeast 2000 or 2001 just to change things up.

ok good to know. it is in ferementor right now sitting at a comfy 57 degrees...hope it comes out good!

Back